(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clack WS1 EE settings

I check my water use for Sunday. One dishwasher load Two large loads of laundry four showers and all four of us home most of the day. 128 gals. Man some people must use a lot of water to get the 60 to 75 gals per person that are used for estimating water use.
    I answered Gary's questions but got no reply back on what would be the best settings me.

Some people use lots and others use little... your family uses what it uses and there is Nothing wrong with that..

Are you getting hard water? using to much salt?
    If the unit has been running for some time and there is nothing wrong with the water or salt usage, why change settings?

Quote Originally Posted by mgssrs View Post
    I bought it from Quality Water Treatment. I don't know that it is wrong. That is what I am trying to find out. Do you have a better idea?
    I'm thinking that if you thought it was right you wouldn't be questioning their programming though.

You can not regenerate 1.5 cuft of regular mesh resin to more than 45K. To get the max 45K you must use a salt dose of 15 lbs/cuft, or 22.5 lbs in your case. Running a softener at max or close to max capacity is not a good idea because resin life and salt efficiencies both suffer. Same for the length of time between regenerations. Programmed for 7-9 days between regenerations is best.

I don't agree with the length of the minutes you are using for the cycle positions or the 125 gals/day average water use. Those minutes relate to water efficiency and use capacity. You need to program for your max gallons per day because you need a 24 hr reserve calculation and if you don't do that, eventually you will get hard water through the resin.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by mgssrs View Post
    I check my water use for Sunday. One dishwasher load Two large loads of laundry four showers and all four of us home most of the day. 128 gals. Man some people must use a lot of water to get the 60 to 75 gals per person that are used for estimating water use.
    I answered Gary's questions but got no reply back on what would be the best settings me.
    On the 1.5 cubics that I set up, if there is iron in the water then I will set up the back wash for 16 minutes, 12minutes if little to no iron.
    Brine draw at 50 minutes works out 95% of the time then 6 minutes on the rapid rinse and 6 minutes for the brine tank refill.
    That will have a cap of 33,000 .. say comp hardness is at 33, that would be 1000 gallons but if there are 4 in the house I would have the meter set for 200 gallons less or 800 gallons. That will work, then if 6 months later if there is some hardness getting by the system say once a month, then set the meter to 750 gallons and try that for a few months , if the water stays good 24/7 and no hardness, leave it there.

This is how I do it ... it is an idea for you only, you may take or leave.

Thanks I will try something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
    On the 1.5 cubics that I set up, if there is iron in the water then I will set up the back wash for 16 minutes, 12minutes if little to no iron.
    Brine draw at 50 minutes works out 95% of the time then 6 minutes on the rapid rinse and 6 minutes for the brine tank refill.
    That will have a cap of 33,000 .. say comp hardness is at 33, that would be 1000 gallons but if there are 4 in the house I would have the meter set for 200 gallons less or 800 gallons. That will work, then if 6 months later if there is some hardness getting by the system say once a month, then set the meter to 750 gallons and try that for a few months , if the water stays good 24/7 and no hardness, leave it there.

This is how I do it ... it is an idea for you only, you may take or leave.
    He has a Clack WS-1 EE, not a Fleck valve. He didn't mention the time for the 1st backwash and should program for 2 backwashes, one before and one after brining and then Rinse.

IIRC the figures he listed are the default settings except for the fill position.

He also said: "Set like that with my low water use I would be regening 35000 grain every 14 days with 21lbs of salt.".

With 21 lbs in 1.5 cuft, he would be regenerating about 43K, wasting salt and getting terrible salt efficiency. With your 16 or 12 minutes of backwash and then the rinse, he is using capacity for all that but his water use efficiency won't be very good. And letting iron sit on resin bead sites for 14 days is not a good thing.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.