Clack WS1 EE settings

Users who are viewing this thread

mgssrs

Reaction score
I am looking for opinions on the best settings for my softener. I have 4 people in my home, but we have only averaged 125 gals of water a day. I am on city water with no iron and 20 gpg. I have a 1.5 cubic foot softener with a clack WS1 EE

Would it be ok to set it to regen at 1100 gals with a 4 min fill time = 2 gals of water to get 6 lbs of salt and a 60 min draw time? That would give me about once a week regen.

Thanks, Marty

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds good.
With the no iron in the water and the size of the unit, the 1100 gallons or about once a week for your family should work very well.

If I where to change any thing it would be to go from 4 min fill to 6 min fill to get 9 lbs. That would be the only thing that I would change.

Last edited:

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
I think a 6 lb salt setting would work fine for your water conditions--given your usage of 125 gallons per day and 20 gpg hardness you use 2500 grains per day or 17,500 grains per week. Assuming standard resin a 4 lb per cubic foot salt dose gives 15,000 grains of capacity per cubic foot or 22,500 total capacity before factoring in a safety factor.

I would set it up with capacity of 1000 gallons to provide a safety factor, 6 lb salt dose, and day override at 7.

I am surprised at the very low water usage you are reporting and if for some reason the meter is not accurately recording your water usage you may experience problems.

mgssrs

Reaction score
I was a little surprised at the water usage also. Although we are gone at work and school all day and kitchen cold and drinking water is not getting metered. I would rather be safe than sorry because it is not easy to tell if I start getting some hard water. I guess I will test the meter by filling a 5 gal bucket to see if is is working right.
That brings up another question. Why the 7 day over ride? If I used less water would it hurt the resin to go longer? Say if we are gone for two or three days or a week do I still need it to regen at 7 days? The original setting was for 14 days.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Regular, weekly, regeneration is good practice to maintain the resin and I recommend it for that reason.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would say let the day over ride go for a few months and see if there is any changes in the water, say a few days that the shower does not feel right, then maybe change the over ride... other wise with no iron let the 14 continue for now.

Every family is different.. I have some that use water like crazy... maybe 100 gallons per person, while there are some that might use 20 gallons per person per day... this is one of those neither right nor wrong answers.

Your family and usage is your family and usage..

mgssrs

Reaction score
I did test it by running water in a bucket and it was acurate. What is the rule for how many pounds of salt it takes to regen? I have seen 6, 8 10 lbs per cubic foot.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
6-8 would be at the best bang for the dollar or the most efficiency on the curve.

Most of the time from my reading 12lbs is the most that most resin can handle,but that extra salt does little in getting more capacity.

From one page of one of my books..
1 cubic foot of resin
5lbs=22.2 capacity
10lbs=29.0 capacity
15lbs=31.3 capacity

notice that 3 times the salt does not give 3 times the capacity..

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
I did test it by running water in a bucket and it was acurate. What is the rule for how many pounds of salt it takes to regen? I have seen 6, 8 10 lbs per cubic foot.

There is a table on page 4 of the document at the following link that shows the relationship between salt dose and capacity per cubic foot of resin. Use the column for C-100 resin which is a standard high capacity resin.

http://www.reskem.com/pdf/purolite-sst60.pdf

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I am looking for opinions on the best settings for my softener. I have 4 people in my home, but we have only averaged 125 gals of water a day. I am on city water with no iron and 20 gpg. I have a 1.5 cubic foot softener with a clack WS1 EE

Would it be ok to set it to regen at 1100 gals with a 4 min fill time = 2 gals of water to get 6 lbs of salt and a 60 min draw time? That would give me about once a week regen.
You sure are getting a number of opinions...

Who did you buy this from that didn't tell you how to program it?

Did they tell you how to size it correctly?

How many bathrooms and any large tubs or 2 person showers or body sprays etc.?

Average 125 gals a day but what is the highest gals used? For programming you should use 60 gals/person/day.

Programming an EE requires you to program how many minutes each cycle positions run for. That's one reason why I have refused to sell the EE but, all but the the Brining minutes use capacity.

So how long do you have those minutes set for? That has to do with your capacity and salt dose and salt and water efficiency.

Doesn't your EE require a reserve capacity? Most do, which is one of a number of reasons why I don't sell the EE.

Six lbs gets you 20K and 1000 gals but, you need to calculate a 24 hr reserve with your EE and if you program for 7 days + the 24 hr reserve, you should override accordingly.

Using daily average water use will probably get you into the reserve frequently and eventually you'll be getting hard water through the softener. Then you do 2 regenerations at 23 lbs back to back with no water use during or between them.

mgssrs

Reaction score
The place I bought it from did tell my how to size and program it but after I used it, it did not seem right to me. They had me set it for 14 min fill time and 14 day over ride. The first thing I notice was that the fill time was stopping at about 11 min because the float was shutting the water off. They then told me that my water presure was high and over filling the brine tank so I should set the fill time to 12 min.

When I saw that I did not use anywhere near the water that all the estimates said I would, they told me that I could set it to an 8 min fill time and 1000 gal use. That is when I deceided to get some other input.

I have four people, three bathrooms no large tubs or shower heads. The most we ever have is two people showering at once. We have averaged about 125 gals a day over three weeks. I am checking it today for a max gals used because we are all home and doing some laundry.

It is now set at 10 min backwash
60 min regen draw
6 min second back wash
14 min brine fill
4 people x 75 gals a day = 300 gal x 20 gpg =6000 grains per day. 48000 grains capacity / 6000 = 8 days back off one day for reserve = 7 days x 300 gals a day = 2100 gals and a 14 day over ride
Set like that with my low water use I would be regening 35000 grain every 14 days with 21lbs of salt. That did not sound right to me.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The place I bought it from did tell my how to size and program it but after I used it, it did not seem right to me. They had me set it for 14 min fill time and 14 day over ride. The first thing I notice was that the fill time was stopping at about 11 min because the float was shutting the water off. They then told me that my water presure was high and over filling the brine tank so I should set the fill time to 12 min.

When I saw that I did not use anywhere near the water that all the estimates said I would, they told me that I could set it to an 8 min fill time and 1000 gal use. That is when I deceided to get some other input.

I have four people, three bathrooms no large tubs or shower heads. The most we ever have is two people showering at once. We have averaged about 125 gals a day over three weeks. I am checking it today for a max gals used because we are all home and doing some laundry.

It is now set at 10 min backwash
60 min regen draw
6 min second back wash
14 min brine fill
4 people x 75 gals a day = 300 gal x 20 gpg =6000 grains per day. 48000 grains capacity / 6000 = 8 days back off one day for reserve = 7 days x 300 gals a day = 2100 gals and a 14 day over ride
Set like that with my low water use I would be regening 35000 grain every 14 days with 21lbs of salt. That did not sound right to me.

Your family uses water the way your family uses water, there is no right or wrong, just your family.
The 75 or 65 per person per day is a starting point and one goes from there, if you use less, then so be it that is your family..

Not sure if I would do the 6 minute second backwash, but so be it.. the 14 can be backed down to 10 minutes and that should do you fine.

mgssrs

Reaction score
So who did you buy it from; help others out here because you know those guys aren't doing things right.

I bought it from Quality Water Treatment. I don't know that it is wrong. That is what I am trying to find out. Do you have a better idea?

mgssrs

Reaction score
I check my water use for Sunday. One dishwasher load Two large loads of laundry four showers and all four of us home most of the day. 128 gals. Man some people must use a lot of water to get the 60 to 75 gals per person that are used for estimating water use.
I answered Gary's questions but got no reply back on what would be the best settings me.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some people use lots and others use little... your family uses what it uses and there is Nothing wrong with that..

Are you getting hard water? using to much salt?
If the unit has been running for some time and there is nothing wrong with the water or salt usage, why change settings?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I bought it from Quality Water Treatment. I don't know that it is wrong. That is what I am trying to find out. Do you have a better idea?
I'm thinking that if you thought it was right you wouldn't be questioning their programming though.

You can not regenerate 1.5 cuft of regular mesh resin to more than 45K. To get the max 45K you must use a salt dose of 15 lbs/cuft, or 22.5 lbs in your case. Running a softener at max or close to max capacity is not a good idea because resin life and salt efficiencies both suffer. Same for the length of time between regenerations. Programmed for 7-9 days between regenerations is best.

I don't agree with the length of the minutes you are using for the cycle positions or the 125 gals/day average water use. Those minutes relate to water efficiency and use capacity. You need to program for your max gallons per day because you need a 24 hr reserve calculation and if you don't do that, eventually you will get hard water through the resin.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I check my water use for Sunday. One dishwasher load Two large loads of laundry four showers and all four of us home most of the day. 128 gals. Man some people must use a lot of water to get the 60 to 75 gals per person that are used for estimating water use.
I answered Gary's questions but got no reply back on what would be the best settings me.

On the 1.5 cubics that I set up, if there is iron in the water then I will set up the back wash for 16 minutes, 12minutes if little to no iron.
Brine draw at 50 minutes works out 95% of the time then 6 minutes on the rapid rinse and 6 minutes for the brine tank refill.
That will have a cap of 33,000 .. say comp hardness is at 33, that would be 1000 gallons but if there are 4 in the house I would have the meter set for 200 gallons less or 800 gallons. That will work, then if 6 months later if there is some hardness getting by the system say once a month, then set the meter to 750 gallons and try that for a few months , if the water stays good 24/7 and no hardness, leave it there.

This is how I do it ... it is an idea for you only, you may take or leave.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks