ABS to Cast Iron Hub

Users who are viewing this thread

DVDiva

Reaction score
Is there any other way to connect ABS 3" DWV (for a toilet) to an existing 3" Cast Iron hub besides using a rubber donut? We are trying to make the connection and we can't get the ABS to fit with the donut. We have tried putting the donut on the ABS and then hammering it into the cast iron (the ABS just ends up popping out), and we have tried putting the donut in the cast iron with lots of soap on the inside, but the ABS still won't go in.

Any other suggestions? We are really frustrated! Thanks!

Finnegan

Reaction score
If you have room, I would cut the hub off and connect with a no hub coupling. If that is not an option, they make an ABS fitting which is intended to be inserted into a cast iron hub and then packed with a compound. I have never used it, but I am pretty certain I have seen the compound. You can always use lead, but that would not be much fun.

DVDiva

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. My husband shaved off the little ridges around the rubber donut which seemed to make it fit with the ABS into the hub. He used a car jack to slowly apply pressure to the ABS pipe to get it to slide into the rubber donut. Quite unorthodox, but it worked! We double-checked that the joint didn't leak and it seems to be working fine.

hmmdinger

Reaction score
I completely empathize with your troubles, DVDiva. That's the EXACT situation I was in a couple of weeks ago. Rubber adapter would fit on the pipe fine, and would fit into the hub fine, but try and get all three to work together...FORGET IT.

Trimming down the ridges of the adapter was the only thing that ended up working for me as well. I used a drill and a wire brush.

After all that, the pipe going into the hub is still VERY snug. I have total confidence in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks