Add a tank and pump to tankless coil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Aaqq

Reaction score
Is it feasible to add a storage tank and pump to an existing tankless coil that can't produce hot water fast enough? I am trying to get the most mileage out of my old boiler before I replace everything.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Rather than adding a crummy tank to the coil, buy a real indirect-fired tank with it's own internal heat exchanger and run it as a separate zone. The indirect will typically last as long or longer than a new boiler, and with bigger heat exchanger can use the full output of the boiler for "endless hot water". When it comes time to buy a new boiler moving the indirect over to the new boiler will be no more complicated than any other heating zone. Also, if your old boiler is cold-start tolerant (almost all gas fired boilers are, some oil-fired boilers aren't), with an indirect you don't have to keep the boiler hot all summer just for hot water with an indirect, doubling it's water-heating efficiency.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks