Green particles collecting in faucet aerator - not dip tube

Users who are viewing this thread

aburt

Reaction score
Hi all, we're getting light greenish particles collecting in the faucet aerators. These are very much like the particles from the decomposing dip tubes in the hot water heaters of the past -- but it isn't the dip tube.

We actually had a hot water heater with that problem and replaced the water heater in 2003 with a Ruud. The dip tube looks in perfect shape. Replaced it just to be on the safe side, but it looked smooth as a baby's bottom, no chunks missing. (The dip tube is short, about two feet long, but apparently that's the correct length for a Ruud. The bottom edge is cut cleanly and it's smooth inside and out.)

Something is decomposing just like those dip tubes did.

These greenish particles float on water and crush to a powder, just like the dip tube particles did seven years ago. We haven't seen them for years, until this month. (What, are we cursed with these things? :) ) Getting a lot of them. Cleaned the sink aerator last night and this morning about a 1/4" deep worth in the aerator. Actually so much of it that it completely stopped the water flow.

So, if it's not the dip tube, any ideas what else it could be?

Could there be something else inside the hot water heater made of the same material? (You'd think the manufacturer in 2003 would have known to avoid that of course, but....???)

Any ideas? Thx.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
usually it's caused by either high or low ph eating the copper away. Have your water checked.

aburt

Reaction score
Is it an A. O. Smith.....It is a good chance t is the anode rod...what makes you think the dip tube should be 24" long..I don't think I have ever seen one that short...

No, it's a RUUD. I know that seems short, but I read on another thread where someone ordered a dip tube from them directly and it was also short - 23.5". (I'm glad to have a longer one just for the improved quantity of available hot water, though!)

Would the anode rod disintegrate into greenish, chalky particles like that?

On the suggestion maybe it's copper -- Same question, I thought copper in the water just made the water bluish colored, not that it came out in chunks?

Thanks.

EDIT: Here's the link where a guy ordered one, it was short, and confirmed with them it was the correct length: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?15863-Dip-tube-replacement-question

Last edited:

aburt

Reaction score
try putting some of the particles in vinegar and let us know what happens...

Trying that right now... Five minutes floating in (on) vinegar so far and they're not dissolving.

EDIT: Several hours now, not dissolving.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks