Fleck 2510 Salt Dose

Users who are viewing this thread

qpm

Reaction score
Where do you adjust the salt dose on a Fleck 2510? This is the standard model not the digital SE or STX models. It does not mention how to adjust salt setting in the owners manual and I have only found info on how to adjust the 5600 salt setting online. Any help is greatly appreciated.

qpm

Reaction score
The above attached document is the manual I mentioned having. I do not see anywhere that shows how to set your salt dose or efficiency in the manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
See page 8 of the manual Peter posted. Times for the cycles are controlled by pins and gaps between pins. Each pin (or hole) in the timer wheel is either 1 or 2 minutes, depending on the specific timer. The salt dose is controlled by the length of the brine fill in minutes times the flow rate of the Brine Line Flow Control (BLFC) and taking into account that 1 gallon of water dissolves 3 lbs of salt. There is typically a sticker on the valve that lists the size of the BLFC--the most common value is 0.5 gallon per minute. If you have a .5 gpm BLFC and you want a 6 lb salt dose then you would set the time for brine fill to be 4 minutes (4 minutes x .5 gal per minute = 2 gallons of water which equals 6 lbs of salt).

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
See page 8 of the manual Peter posted. Times for the cycles are controlled by pins and gaps between pins. Each pin (or hole) in the timer wheel is either 1 or 2 minutes, depending on the specific timer. The salt dose is controlled by the length of the brine fill in minutes times the flow rate of the Brine Line Flow Control (BLFC) and taking into account that 1 gallon of water dissolves 3 lbs of salt. There is typically a sticker on the valve that lists the size of the BLFC--the most common value is 0.5 gallon per minute. If you have a .5 gpm BLFC and you want a 6 lb salt dose then you would set the time for brine fill to be 4 minutes (4 minutes x .5 gal per minute = 2 gallons of water which equals 6 lbs of salt).
Page 8? mine has page 7, the one that shows the back side of the timer assembly..
That said it all...
First pins are for Backwash
Spaces are for brine draw/rinse
Second set of pins for Rapid Rinse
Second set of spaces for Brine refill
Third set of pins for Stop..

qpm

Reaction score
Thanks Bob. I probably would have never figured that out. On the Fleck 5600 it looks like there is an actual salt dose setting on the back of the controller. I thought there might be a similar setting for the 2510. Guess not. It appears page 7 and 8 of the manual have the same exact print as far as I can tell. Weird.

Thanks

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depends on the print run of the manual.

Units with the timer assembly that the 2510 have are great to customize for the water and usage of the system.

I normaly have 6 pins for the backwash, 25 spaces for 50 minutes on the brine draw/rinse then 3 or 4 pins for the rapid rinse then either 2 or 3 spaces for brine refill, some times I will do 4 spaces but always end with 2 pins.

Not that hard to move pins around, just unplug unit, unplug meter cable if it has one from the meter dome and then remove the timer wheel, make the pin changes and put every thing back together again.

Wiz561

Reaction score
I normaly have 6 pins for the backwash, 25 spaces for 50 minutes on the brine draw/rinse then 3 or 4 pins for the rapid rinse then either 2 or 3 spaces for brine refill, some times I will do 4 spaces but always end with 2 pins.

Hi! I know it's been a long time since the reply to this, but Akpsdvan, I was wondering how you know your recipe for setting the pins. Is it documented anywhere? Just personal experience?

I have a feeling that I have to tweak mine, and before I start messing around with it, I'd like to know how you came up with the pin setting.

Thanks!

Wiz561

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks!

I've done it before, but now I'd really like to get these settings perfected. All I've really adjusted in the past was the front dial. I think I have to tweak the back one because I believe it's stock, since it's the same as what other people on the net had. Here's what I currently have set:

Backwash: 10 minutes
Brine Cycle: 60 minutes
Rapid Rinse: 10 Minutes
Refill: 12 Minutes (.5 gpm)

Here are my results...

Fleck 2510 metered softener
64k grain capacity
12x48 resin tank
2 cubic feet high capacity resin (I believe here's the info to it. http://www.ohiopurewater.com/shop/files/nelsencation.pdf)
15x17x36 rectangular brine tank
20 micron flowmax filter

Water results:

Iron: My water test said '0' when I used a kit. Didn't send it in. However, on my filter, after a few months, there's orange on it. Some rust stains in the toilet if I don't clean them every two weeks or so. City water report says 0.046 Highest Level Detected, range is 0-0.046, and MCL is 1.0ppm.

Total Hardness: (as CaCO3) is 35 GPG
Chlorine: 0.4433 - 0.6212 ppm
Haloacetic Acids (HAAS) 1.1 - 1.1 ppb
Total Tihalomenthanes (TTHMS) 8-8 ppb
Barium (I think; it says arium): 0.016 - 0.022 ppm
Flouride: 0.84 - 1ppm
Manganese: 6-7ppb
Nitrate: 0-0.97 ppm
Selenium: 1-2 ppb
Sodium: 37-38 ppm
Zinc: 0.007-0.022 ppm
Uranium: 2.662 - 2.682
Gross Alpha exluding radon and uranium: 0-0
Combined Radium 228 - 0-0.559
Beta/photon emitters: 4.2

Water Usage: I failed to mention how much water we used. It's two people now, but will be three soon. We use the average amount per person per day. I believe it's 75 gallons per person.

Thanks for the info. As I said, I've tried to understand the equation to this, but I believe it's more experience (and some voodoo). Now that a few months have gone past, I'm getting tired of the rust stains in the toilet, which leads me to believe something's not adjusted correctly with the softener. If somebody can post the equation and results, that would be most excellent.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

Wiz561

Reaction score
You are going to have issues with this equipment as it is very much undersized for 3 people and 75 gallon per person per day.
You can get a pretty good estimate here http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/water_softener_sizing.htm
Just plug in your numbers and you will get a better idea of your needs.

Thanks for the response, but I don't understand why you would think what I have is undersized. When I visit the web page and put in the information (3 * 75 * 35 +1) = 8550 grains per day. According to the matrix, 6800 to 9100 is 64k grain capacity, which is exactly what I have.

Thanks, but just confused.

Wiz561

Reaction score
No worries, that's a-ok. I'm new to this water softening stuff and trying to figure it out. I'm easily confused, and when I saw that, I got confused. :)

Thanks though for the response!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Mike, click the link in my signature and do your math by hand to come up with the K of capacity you need and then adjust the number of minutes of refill to get the salt dose to give you that K of capacity. The rest of the numbers are OK for a 20 cuft softener. I would use 60 gals/day/person and one days worth of total grains as the reserve.

The orange color in a months old disposable cartridge filter is normal but, for 1 ppm of iron you convert it to 4 gpg and add that to the gpg of hardness. The discoloration in the toilet may be from a galvanized nipple etc. after the softener. You may want to run some Iron Out through the softener every two months or so.

BTW, 60 K is all you will get out of a 2.0 cuft of regular mesh resin, and that "high Capacity" term is hype. To get 60 K you need to use 30 lbs of salt per regeneration. Your 48" tall tank is 4" shorter than the normal size for a 2.0 cuft of resin. that can cause insufficient backwash because the freeboard space is reduced. Freeboard is the empty space above the top of the resin and the top of the tank, not including the dome shaped area.

Last edited:

Wiz561

Reaction score
That's interesting about the length of the tank. I will have to measure it with a tape measure at home and see if I'm right. I just checked the PO when I bought it for the tank size. I'd *assume* that it's a 'standard' size, but I'll have to double check.

I'll also have to run some 'iron-out' through it. I've been reading more on here, and it sounds like it's something that won't hurt.

Last question. If the filter is catching iron, and if it's all orangish/reddish when I take it out, is that adding to the iron content even more, instead of having it just 'pass through'? So, after time, if there's iron being collected to the filter, am I just dosing the water with more iron if I don't replace it?

Thanks

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not really sure what you are trying to say but... a fiber type filter is not designed to remove iron though it will certainly trap some of it which is what turns the element orange. Over time the iron will eventually plug the filter up and you will have to replace it and it will begin to effect the flow through the softener. Unless there is some specific thing that this filter is filtering such as sediment I would take the element out and leave it out.

Matt Williams

Reaction score
Along these line, my brine fill stops half way. Why? See photo. 78 and 80 it fills/draws. Then stops at 82..Instead of filling until 86.
Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    13.6 KB · Views: 446
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks