Well pump cycles every minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Brass

Reaction score
I have a new problem with my well pump. It turns on about every minute for aproxx. 15 seconds. I put a pressure gage on a utility sink faucet and see the gage fluctuating up and down between 35 and 50 psi. How can i figure out where the problem is?

- Tank waterlogged? "Well-X-Trol" How do I check?
- Check valve stuck? Where is it and how can I test it?
- Pressure switch? testing procedure?
- Broken/leaking pipe between house and pitless adaptor? G-d I hope not, how can I tell?

All help is welcome. I am afaid the pump will burn up.
Thank you,
Marty

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You ned to shut off the pump and only turn it on when you need water; or you can burn up a pump without a thermal overload. It will add a bunch to the light bill...

You could have a leaking check valve in/on the pump outlet or a leak somewhere else. With the pump running, shut off the water to the house. If the pump still comes on like it is, the leak is on the well side of the pressure tank. It can be in the well, and usually is, or underground. If in the well, it can get to where the pump falls off the drop pipe, so get this fixed ASAP.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Brass

Reaction score
check valve ?

Gary,
Thanks for the info! Where would the check valve normally be? Would it be up top near the pitless adaptor, or down near the pump? The pump is aproxx. 60 ' down. I can make a tool to pull the adaptor and try to raise the pump. Should I try this?
Marty

Brass

Reaction score
Can I pull the pump and look for the check valve myself? ( kill power first)
Is there a risk that I would ruin anything bringing up the pump? I have a 1" pipe with handle to attach to the pitless adaptor.
Marty

Brass

Reaction score
Good news! Job is done.

:)
Gary
Well I got brave and made the tool for the pitles adaptor. My 60' pipe is a black rigid/flex line.
When I took the cap off the case I could hear and see water gushing just below the adaptor, but above the hose clamps.

I pulled the entire pump up and looked it over. The nipple between the flex hose and the pitles adaptor had pitted and had several holes through the threads. Installed new nipple and clamps and refit the unit into the pitles.

All is WELL now, no pun intended. No leaks, no pump cycle on and off. I am a happy camper and saved over $500 on a Saturday.

Gary my hat is off to you. Your advice and the other posts I have read on this forum made the difference. G-d bless!

Marty / Laytonsville, MD

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Hi Marty. I'm glad to help. You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it and I wish everyone gave feedback. If they did, more proven to be correct info woud be available to others.

BTW, with you being from MD, you may have some very acidic water, you might ant to have a water test done, especially the pH and if you have copper tubing.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks