Problem with Tilt Valve not sealing and allowing continuous leakage

Users who are viewing this thread

Jkeyler

Reaction score
I have a one piece toilet that I purchased at Sears about 1975 (probably a Rumble brand) and I have just intalled a new Ball cock Assy and Tilt valve (which I purchased through Sears Parts Center). I replaced the previous items since the water was running contiunously as the tilt valve apparently was worn, etc. After I installed the new assy's, the tilt valve is allowing more leakage that I had with the previous one. I have tried additional weight washers, also checked to see that the lift strap was not too tight, and so on. I cannot get this leakage to stop. I would like to know who manufactures these replacement assy's and can I buy then anywhere other than Sears. Also, most improtant, does anyone have any ideas as to what I can try to stop the continuous leakage and make the tilt valve seal so it does not leak.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've got to get this solved someway. Water is getting costly.
Indy Jim

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That toilet even when working properly uses at least 3 gallons of water per flush. If you really are concerned about water savings and want to bring your toilet into this century, get a new Toto Eco Drake.

Jkeyler

Reaction score
Thanks gary for your suggestion, however, we chose to keep this unit if at all possible since it fits in with our trim very well.
Jim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, are you sure the valve is leaking, or could it be that the flapper valve is leaking into the bowl, and the fill valve is just remaining open to keep the tank full? Is the water rising far enough to dump into the overflow tube? If it is, then valve is leaking. If it isn't, the flapper is leaking. What is your water pressure in the house? Most valves can handle whatever pressure normally is there, but it's possible some can't. You can buy a water pressure gauge at one of the big box stores for about $10.

Jkeyler

Reaction score
The fill valve is open enough to keep the tank at the proper level and the fill the tilt valve and continues to run at a slow rate. If I turn the water supply off, then the tank slowly drains out into the bowl until the tank is empty, which I would think is the result of leakage of flapper leakage. The flapper (tilt valve) is not seating sufficiently with the pinion (pinion is the term used in the spec sheet). These items are fixed with no adjustments available. I cannot get this leakage to stop even though this is a new assembly. I don't think water pressure has any impact in this situation.
Thanks for your input.
Jim

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The fill valve is open enough to keep the tank at the proper level and the fill the tilt valve and continues to run at a slow rate. If I turn the water supply off, then the tank slowly drains out into the bowl until the tank is empty, which I would think is the result of leakage of flapper leakage. The flapper (tilt valve) is not seating sufficiently with the pinion (pinion is the term used in the spec sheet). These items are fixed with no adjustments available. I cannot get this leakage to stop even though this is a new assembly. I don't think water pressure has any impact in this situation.
Thanks for your input.
Jim

I believe what you have is a old American Standard flush valve. There are two different ones made. They look very much the same except for the distance between the mounting point and the seat.
John

as_tilt_valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Make sure that the seat where that valve closes onto is smooth without any deposits, chips, cracks, or deep scratches.

Jkeyler

Reaction score
John, Unfortunately, my assembly items look nothing like the example you listed. Sears part number for the tilt valve is TB-283, however, wehen I went to the Sears Parts Direct website, the item showed up as no longer available and manufacturer did not provide an alternate number. I don't know if that is a sears part number or the makers part number. If I knew who makes these things, I could contact them directly. Thanks for your help on this.
Jim

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The trouble is you have a dinosaur there for a toilet...
Universal Rundle has been bought and sold out of existence several times over.
The OEM parts if they are available anywhere have been gathering dust on a shelf for 20+ years.
If you do manage to find the parts you may resurrect this toilet once again for yet a few more years but it is hardly worth the time or effort until some other hard to find part needs replacing.
The last one of these I had to work on the customer called me and cancelled while I was searching for parts...

I considered it to be an act of God and I gave praise!:cool:

If he had called back changing his mind I would have refused the job...

Even the bowl refill tube from the fill valve to the overflow tube can present problems for the flush valve seating if the tube is overly stiff.

Personally I'd send this bad boy on a high arcing trajectory ending in a crash against the bottom of a dumpster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks