Pressure Tank Location

Users who are viewing this thread

Eliz1

Reaction score
Well info: 800 ft deep
3/4 gpm
6 1/4in diameter casing
86 gallon pressure tank

My pressure tank is currently located in the garage and I would like to relocate it due to moisture and space issuses. Would it be okay to move it outside? Winters are mild here in East TN but we do have many nights in the thirties and occasionally have days that do not warm up above freezing. Would I need to build a well house for it? I have also seen a product called a "No Tank" pressure tank. The "tank" is actually installed in the casing. Is anyone familiar with this? Pros/Cons?

Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Your 86 gallon tank holds about 25 gallons of water. A No Tank holds less than ½ a gallon of water. You can't use a No Tank without a Cycle Stop Valve. And I am not sure you can use a Cycle Stop Valve on that 800' deep well. It depends on which pump you have, and how much pressure it can build. If you can use a CSV, then you can use a 4.4 gallon tank as in the picture to the left. This works much better than a No Tank. Then you wouldn't need to put anything outside. Do you have information on the pump, like horse power and GPM?

Eliz1

Reaction score
If I am reading my info correctly, the pump is 1 1/2 hp 5 gpm 3w berk pump. Thanks for your help...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That pump can build 380 PSI if you have a high static water level in the well. You should stay with the big pressure tank. And you can move it just about anywhere, if you move the pressure switch with it, and do not have any check valves above ground in the wrong place.

Eliz1

Reaction score
Thanks valveman. One more stupid question, maybe two.... If the tank is outside, I don't have to worry about it freezing? and my husband thinks if it is outside we will have hot water during the summer months....

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The water will get warm if the tank is sitting in the sun. And the tank will freeze if the temp gets below 32F. Wrapping the tank and lines with insulation will work in my area most of the time. Then we get one of those times when it stays cold for several days, and I get dozens of calls to thaw out water systems. Expect the best, only when you prepare for the worst.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my part of Texas most all of the pressure tanks are located outdoors with very little insulation. Of course, we usually don't get a hard freeze but once every 5-10 years. This is the first year we had a good freeze and there were lots of frozen systems. The tanks don't mostly freeze, it's mostly the 1/4" nipple going to the pressure switch that either freezes with the pump running or with the pump off.

I don't think that the tank being outside will heat the water enough to be noticeable in the summer time. Maybe a couple of degrees unless it is sitting for a few days in direct sunlight. The water coming out of the ground is pretty cool, depending upon where you are at, so it takes a while for it to heat up.

I wouldn't put the tank/etc outside in TN. You will need a good wellhouse.

Thassler

Reaction score
I'm in Middle TN Eliz1 and I wouldn't dream of putting my pressure tank outdoors. It will freeze. Don't do it unless you build a well house for it. Mine is in a 8'x5' well house with insulated 2x4 walls. During winter months I keep a 100watt flood light on and that is enough to keep it at least 40 during the coldest times.

Eliz1

Reaction score
I do plan on building a wellhouse because I not only worry about the possibility of freezing but also I am not keen on the idea of having a big blue tank sitting in the back yard. I was thinking a block building with stone siding.

Eliz1

Reaction score
Funny. If it makes you feel better, planning on and actually doing are two different things. And while you are imagining my fancy wellhouse also envision the muddy yard, gravel driveway, etc.. I plan on doing landscaping too. It might take me another 3 years but I plan on it ;).

Markgc

Reaction score
My comment was tongue in cheek. I must admit at one time I was planning on replacing the nasty looking siding on my pump house with the nice colored stuff that they had at Lowes. Unfortunately that hasn't happened but it is still on the dream list.

I actually ran my stereo speakers wires under the floor in the crawl space last week. I had been planning that for 9 years but it got done in the end.

Yes my drive needs fixing too...you been spying on me..lol

Mark

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
best pump house I ever saw was a contractor bag stuffed full of insulation and tied with clothesline rope around the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks