(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Smelly water and black stuff comes through the faucet every couple of months

Hybrid View

DIY Junior Member

Default Smelly water and black stuff comes through the faucet every couple of months

Good Day,
    Long time reader first time poster. In my masterbath I have his and her sinks and I get a slight oder from the water and every once in awhile I will get a black slime. The oder is not strong and goes away after running the water for few seconds. A few years ago I installed a filter on one sink and that seems to be the worst offender for smell and slime today. I clean the areators every couple of weeks and the faucets are Moen. Anybody have any ideas what this black slime is? Oh yeah I am on city water.

Previous member

That black slime is usually an indicator of bacterial iron. The filter you have under the sink is a great place for it to grow. The only way to eliminate it is with some sort of chlorine injector.

DIY Junior Member

Peter,
    Thanks for the reply. Could I just put some chlorine in my water lines and flush it out because those injector things looked pretty expensive.

Previous member

You can, but it will come back

DIY Junior Member

Hello beechumley,

You can use some chlorine in the water. But after few months its come back again. This is very necessary that you clean the sink mostly every three or four week.

Regards,
    Olivia

Sewer Line Cleaning