Bathtub Drain Kit Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

mehlhorn

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been working on a bathroom reno on my spare time since November. Now that I have the new shower plumbing ready to go, I moved on to the tub drain but something just isnt right.

When I removed the tub i noticed that the drain kit (black PVC?) was extremely loose. I was actually able to remove the drain kit without losening the P-Trap from the house. The plastic threaded nut on the p-trap was broken at some point, the only thing keeping the water flowing must have been the plumbers tape.

Anywho, I went over to the Depot and purchased a new drain kit and p-trap, HOWEVER, the plastic nut on the new p-trap does not want to grab onto the threads on the existing house pipe. Both are black pvc 1.5 inch p-traps but the old one looks like it is about a mm smaller.

what do i do?

I am looking forward to your responses,

thanks,

Mike

mehlhorn

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Does this schedule 40 solvent p-trap thread onto the existing ABS pipe? Or do I have to cut it and glue the sch. 40 to it? Also, I had mentioned that the pipes were PVC, I now know that it is not PVC but ABS, does that make any difference?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
To start with , if you live in Brampton, Its all ABS.

I think what you may be looking at is a tubular tailpeice,. There should be 3 components to what you should see
1) 1.5 abs p-trap
2) 1.5 abs p-trap adapter
3) 1.5 tubular tailpeice
In some cases where the waste and overflow is entirely made of abs, you would not see the p-trap adapter and the tailpice

So At the moment, I'm not really sure what you are trying to connect to. What ever you are trying to connect to doesn't seem compatable to the assembly that you purchased. If you can provide a pic or photo of your conditions and what you purchased, we would be able to tell you if anything can be salvaged.

From what I understood, you may end up stripping the whole assembly right down to removing the p-trap and starting from there. Please post a pic

mehlhorn

Reaction score
thanks - I will grab the new kit assembly as well as the assembly removed to show the similarities. Unfortunately I am not at the site, but I do have the pieces with me for photos. I will post asap.

mehlhorn

Reaction score
photo.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks