Kitchen peninsula venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Bsperr

Reaction score
Sorry for the lousy drawing, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to vent a sink for a kitchen remodel. I'll be building a peninsula counter top between my kitchen and den that will consist of a 2' partition and a 5' 8" pony wall with a 42" high bar top. The first pic is a simplified graphic of the framing and dwv. If I tuck the vent pipe right under the bar top, it should be close to 6" above the flood rim of the sink (under mount) before turning horizontal. The second pic is an exported view of the kitchen from sketchup to give more reference.

Does this venting look correct? Would I need the relief vent depicted in light blue? Thanks for your help

Attachments

• vent pic small.jpg
    vent pic small.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,679
  • kitchen model small.jpg
    kitchen model small.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,783

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
The picture I included would pass inspection in my area. In Chicago your p-trap can be 5 feet from the vent.

Attachments

• kitchen sink.jpg
    kitchen sink.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,512

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You could do it that way, or you could angle it up at a 60 degree angle, or arm it over like the other drawing,using a 2" pipe. 1 1/2" pipe would not work in that case.

Bsperr

Reaction score
Thanks JC and HJ. I hadn't though about just extending the trap arm, but that would definitely be easier. We're under the 2006 IPC down here in Georgia, so it looks like I can go up to 6' to the vent with a 1 1/2 pipe. Would there be any disadvantages to the longer trap arm? I was thinking about using the arm over so that I could put a clean out above the trap and in the crawl space on the end of that horizontal branch. I was planning to use 2" pipe, but, out of curiosity, why wouldn't 1 1/2" pipe work with the arm over?

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
11/2 trap can only go 31/2 feet because after that the backpressure will slow the draining draining process..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT is a theoretical limitation. At 1/4" per foot slope, once a 1 1/2" pipe goes more than 6 feet, it reaches the point where it technically could create an version of an "S" trap and cause siphonage. It has nothing to do with back pressure.

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
In looking at your original photo, yes you could pull a vent into the peninslula as long as you use drainage style fittings and drainage slope for your pipes, until it reaches the point that is 6" above flood rim (countertop) with no connections to other vents below that flood rim. I don't see why you would need the relief vent.

That being said, I also would enlarge the trap arm to 2" to give yourself the 5' (the max UPC distance, I guess 6' in your juri.) distance from the vent. Much simpler.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
If he runs 2", he can go up to 8' under IPC (or 6' with 1.5"). The trick, though, is to keep the slope right at 1/4" per foot for these max distances. If you go more, the drop will be too much and will effectively create an s-trap.

Since he would not be near the limits for either size under IPC, the 1.5" would be just fine. He just has to make sure that the slope is at least 1/4" per foot, but less than 1/2" per foot (to prevent s-trap over 3' distance).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks