Needing advice for first time toilet install

Users who are viewing this thread

Kitch

Reaction score
I am going to install a Toto Pacifica with a 12" unifit this weekend. First with the plastic unifit piece. I know I have to drill holes in my ceramic and according to the directions, install the supplied plastic anchors and screws. Would it be better (or overkill) to drill through the ceramic and subfloor and attach the unifit piece with stainless bolts and locknuts. I am thinking about doing this with the closet flange also. Is this overkill? Second, can you use a waxfree toilet seal with the plastic unifit thing, or only a wax ring as the instructions state? Has anyone used a waxfree seal on a Toto unifit piece?

Thanks,
Kitch

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Installing a Toto toilet with the Unift adapter

Installing the Unifit on tile, pick yourself up a 1/4" tile bit.

Use the plastic anchors and stainless screws that come with the Unifit.
They work fine.

Sometimes tile is uneven. If you have to shim, shim at the back, pinning the front of the bowl down. Caulk around the front.

With the Unifit, I would use wax. You will notice that the underside is not round and centered like their toilets are. Use wax.

If you remove the toilet, the Unift will stay installed.
When dropping the toilet into the Unifit, it will slide in easier if you put some liquid soap on the rubber sleeve.

You will notice that there are some toggle bolts stapled to the Unifit box. These are for attaching the seat. Use these toggle bolts with the rubber outer covering and don't use the plastic bolts that come in the seat box.
This way you can alway tighen or remove the seat without pulling the toilet.

toto_seat_toggle.jpg

Seat toggles for the skirted bowls

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I used Fluidmasters waxless seals on my two unifit adapters. Several years, no problems. I did this as I needed the toilet while I was remodeling...it made it easier to remove and replace as needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks