p-trap problems

Users who are viewing this thread

kdenault

Reaction score
Now, I'm installing a new vanity to replace a pedestal sink in my bathroom. I purchased a new p-trap kit. The vanity has clearance in the back to allow for the hookup. The water supply and the drain are in the wall. The water supply fits nicely in the clearance. The problem is the drain in the wall. It falls about 1 inch below the clearance opening in the vanity. If i cut into the back of the vanity to clear the drain, it will probably effect the structural integrity of the vanity as it will mean cutting into the only cross piece in the back. Is there a flex tube that can be used to connect the wall tube of the p-trap to the drain in the wall--in other words, I would connect the flex tube to the drain in the wall, bend it upwards (like an 'S') and then connect the wall tube to the flex tube? I would still have to pull the vanity out from the wall some to allow clearance for the flex tube, but the amount would probably be less with a flex tube and I can't see any other way around it. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Kathy :eek:

TheZster

Reaction score
Can you add another crossbrace to the vanity a few inches higher/lower? As you're going to screw your vanity into the wall studs (you are, right?) - you don't want it a couple of inches off the wall.... Just a thought.....

necessity is the mother of invention....

kdenault

Reaction score
oooh--good point! The wall behind is all tile, so i'd have to drill holes into the tile and use anchors. Didn't think of that. Well, there is another crossbar higher up about six inches from the top. If I were to drill out a half circle in the lower crossbar--will that leave enough support?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks