Any tricks for dealing with misaligned sink drains?

Users who are viewing this thread

ndog

Reaction score
I'm doing a minor bathroom update, new paint and new sink/toilet/fixtures. But I've run into a problem installing the new sink. The abs p-trap comes too far out of the wall to line up with the drain tail. I've been reading the old threads and I see the flexible tail isn't a good idea I also can't modify the trap and plumbing since its all glued abs and part of the trap assembly is in the wall. I didn't do it like this but I'm stuck with it since the walls are tiled (and the tile is discontinued) plus there's no access from the other side. The offset isn't much about 1/2 an inch, so I'm wondering is there anything I can do about this?

I don't have a camera so here is a rough diagram to try and explain my situation better. The proper screw on drain tail connector is present on the drain glued to the top of the elbow. I realise the drain is a mess, but I didn't do it, and it does function correctly and water stays in the trap. I'm just trying to figure out a way I can work with this since taking out the wall would mean taking out the tiles on 3 other walls too. I can't move the sink forward since it's a ped and the top needs to attach to the wall. So I'm left with some not so great options and I don't have the experience here to make it work. drain1.jpg

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
What is the distance from the top of the sink tailpiece to the ABS when you mock it up? Is it possible that you have enough room to create a small jog with two 45deg fittings? Or two 22.5s ??

ndog

Reaction score
Thanks for the help!

The abs is 1.5" and the tail off the drain is 1.25" If I put a 1.5" x 1.25" trap adapter on the top of the trap the tail piece is over the side of the threads by just under 1/2 an inch. I've got a spare 22.5 deg fitting in my tool box I tried playing with that, I'm going to get another one tomorrow morning when the stores open up to be sure, but it seems like it pushes the threaded opening of the trap adapter too far away from the tail. It almost seems that since the distance is so small that I need something flexible but I'm not sure such a thing exists/is code compliant/is a good idea.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF that drawing is accurate, and I hope it is NOT, then who was the "idiot" who installed the trap? That installation is completely incorrect and can cause immense difficulties in the future. It doesn't fit because it was never designed, or intended, to be installed that way.

ndog

Reaction score
It is accurate, the only thing that's missing is there is a clean out plug on the bottom of the trap's u shaped piece. It was installed by a licensed plumber I guess about 10 years go.

It hasn't malfunctioned or clogged; if it was drywall or there was a place I could cut and glue outside the wall I'd replace it all but I'm pretty much stuck with it at this point.

Last edited:

Plumbermurrieta

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.plumbermurrieta.info
Each tool we use has a specific purpose for which it is best suited. Leak detection is no longer an art but a process of elimination.
Our handpicked, experienced, and well respected plumbers all go through one-on-one personal training, sometimes with the manufacturers of our equipment. Who better to rely on than a company full of the top craftsmen of the trade.

Our leak detection process typically involves the following steps:

Visual Inspection - With our specialized training and years of experience, a simple walk through inspection of the property allows us to identify most or all of the plumbing problems. The visual inspection often tells us how best to proceed.

Pressure Testing - Is the water pressure too high or too low? This tells us if there is a leak within the pressurized system and if it is the hot or cold side of the system.

Moisture Probing and Sensors - Informs us if moisture is present in places it shouldn't be and how much moisture is present. This often helps us to determine its source.

Fibre Optic Bore Scope - Provides a visual inspection within the walls and between floors without opening them.

Thermal Laser - Measures heat through concrete slabs or other surfaces.

Thermal Camera - Gives a good visual inspection without having to open walls.

Pinpoint Audio Location

Electronic Pipe Location

While other plumbing companies are still cutting holes in the walls or tearing up the floor to figure out what the problem might be, Master Plumbing and Leak Detection will have accurately located any plumbing failure imagineable without ever cutting or drilling a hole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks