Air in Myers surface well jet pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Russell

Reaction score
I started having trouble when the water line was proken during digging around the basement. The line was repaired however some gravel was sucked into the pump and had to be repaired. The pump now suckes air and has trouble pumping to it's max. setting. I disconnected the line after the check valve at the pump and connected a line from there straight to a large container of water and started the pump, it still sucked air. Can the pump have a leaking gasket or something that can suck air but not leak water or lose pressure?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I've seen suction lines that you could look at and never tell they had a leak until you fired the pump up and tried to start drawing water. A combination of water pressure along with the subgrade packed tight around the piping were the reasons I suppose. There is a possibility that there is a loose connection that you are not aware of that is causing the problem. Double check and even soap test your local connections to make sure you are not missing anything.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you hooked the pump to a large container of water and it sucked air with little or no vacuum, I don't know what to say about that. If the pipe size is the same as the suction fitting of the pump and it's sucking air, you must have a major air leak somewhere in that pipe. The only other thing I can think of since I don't know anything about your pump or system is you may possibly have an air control line hooked to a galvanized tank and the air control is bad and giving the pump air.If you can give us more info, I can be more helpful. But if you cut a suction line outside and had it repaired, the repair could be the problem also. What kind of pipe and how was the repair made etc. etc. etc.???

There is very little on that pump that is vacuum, most of the pump is under pressure when running. If you got gravel in the impeller and didn't get it all out that could explain the pressure problem.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks