60"x30" Alcove, tub options?

Users who are viewing this thread

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
I just tore out my 10-year-old Americast tub in our tiny bathroom. For all those who wonder if they are good tubs, I say NO! Water pooled to the right of the drain for several years, and when I pulled it up, I found out why: Several long stress fractures in the resin backing. I suppose if this tub had been installed in mortar it wouldn't have happened, but as I understand it American Standard instructs people to NOT install them in mortar.

So, I won't be using Americast to replace the tub. Problem is, my alcove is literally 60" x 30" stud-to-stud. My tub options are:

Kohler Villager (with 8" of water depth, far too shallow)
Sterling Performa (only tub with prefabricated walls/tiling flange that can fit -- we have a Sterling shower and like the Vikrell, but this Performa unit is quite generic looking, to the point of looking cheap).
Kohler Hourglass drop-in with optional apron (expensive, no integral tiling flange, and acrylic, which I understand is not terribly durable).

Anyone have any opinions or other suggestions? I came up with the idea of putting a 4"x4" from floor to ceiling on each end of the alcove to extend the width out and thereby allowing us to put in a 32" tub, but my wife and I have concerns that it would look clunky. I think the benefits of a wider, nicer tub outweigh the possible detriments, but I'm still on the fence about it.

maxprophet

Reaction score
What did you do here?

I have the same exact issues and already bought a 32" with my heart set on making it work. I am considering notching the studs a full 1" where the flange is to gain the inch there and then furring out the studs outside so that 1/2 green board gets me flush with the apron. I'd be curious to know what you settled on or what you think of my idea. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks