The stopper that plugs the bathtub drain is frozen and will not budge. It is almost completely in the completely plugged position but will allow water to drain out very slowly. The lever will not budge. I took out the screws and tried to remove the mechanism with vice grips -- no luck. I tried to tap the plug down with a flexible fiberglass rod to break it free and no luck there either. Any suggestions?
1. Pray fervently.
2. Then spray copious amounts of WD-40 into the opening.
3. Repeat BOTH steps a few times.
4. Try your fiberglass rod again. If you can get the plug to move even 1/64 of an inch it will come out.
5. DO NOT try to force it up with the vise grips or you will pull them apart.
6. If it is still stuck, get a section of 1/8" brass or welding rod. Bend a narrow "V" in the end of it and an "L" at the other end.
7, Slide the "V" down the drain and try to snag the bail on the drain plug. When you do, the use a small hammer to pound upwards against the "L" on the top of the wire. IT WILL come loose.