standpipe and other rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

segal46

a/v technician
Reaction score
Hi I added a picture, I adjusted it into what I want to install in my basement, I also want to add that the picture i modified was Terry's, and I thank him for posting it, hoping it doesnt cause any problems.
Can anyone tell me if the setup i made is acceptable in plumbing standards. If not what corrections can I make, as posted from an earlier post which got 0 responses, I am going from a 2'' copper to ABS/PVC using Terrry's rough in picture as a guide. Lastly should I put in a plug at the bottom of the tubing in case I ever have to fish anything through?

thanks

Attachments

• rough in.jpg
    rough in.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 2,388
Last edited:

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not a plumber, but the "new single sink" is not properly vented. It is being vented as a wet vent, but normally the wet vent is only allowed within a bathroom group.

What you have may be okay depending on your local codes, though. If the two sinks connected at the same point, then it would be called a common vent and would be fine where I am. My local code would allow them to also be stacked like this (as long as trap arms are not too long). The req. here, if they are stacked like that, is the top fixture has a limit of 1 dfu if 1.5" pipe and 4 dfu if run in 2" pipe. The other req. is that the fixtures must be on the same floor level.

Your other option would be to take a vent off the "new single sink" and tie it back in 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture (like is shown on the standpipe connection in the pic).

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The UPC allows wet venting of one or two BATHROOMS on the same floor of the dewlling. Even if the new sink is not in a "bathroom" you will probably get by with it. It will certainly work ok . However, the wet vented section must be 2" minimum, which means if it is not already, all the piping below the existing lav sink san tee must be 2"

segal46

a/v technician
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, yes all will be done in 2 inch, now I am a happy camper, alls left is to get the job done. Should I put in a clean out plug at the bottom of the 2 inch drain with a Y that goes to the 4 inch under the slab? Or is it overkill...lol
thanks again, very helpfull website.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Yep. Add a cleanout at the base of the stack (just before it goes into the slab).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would not even have to add that looped vent for the washing machine as long as it is the bottom connection. And if it were not the bottom one, the looped vent would have to be for whichever sink was the bottom one.

segal46

a/v technician
Reaction score
Hj, no vent?

Hi Hj, if understand correctly, if install is as the picture shows and that the standpipe leads to the 2 inch drain i don't have to install any vent? Is it because the 2 other drain would serve as some sort of vent? If so that would involve that much less work.
thanks in advance
Sg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The other two drains do NOT serve as a vent, but the vent takes care of all three connections, as long as their branches do not exceed the distance limitation before a vent is required. When I install them, I use "street tees" so that they are as close together as possible and go directly into the cleanout tee, so they do not require pieces of pipe between them.

segal46

a/v technician
Reaction score
thanks a g-note...work will start soon and save a bundle on fees, money I can use to remodel the whole laundry room.
sg

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Your proposed setup is not code in Canada.The only way it would be code, is if your main verticle drain is 3" with your appropriate branches. If you have 2" verticle drain, then each trp will need to vent seperately

segal46

a/v technician
Reaction score
O canada

Krow, I found nothing in the national (Canada) plumbing code on using 3 inch drain compared to the 2inch in which you quoted so I asked a plumber here and when I showed him my picture, he said it will work, so if you have anything to prove to me not to go this way, please show me it . I prefer to do things right the 1st time.
thanks

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that 'will work' and code sometimes have conflicts. Code tries to ensure if a weird situation occurs, things still work. You may never find that combination of circumstances to cause your 'will work' solution to fail.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks