Should I Add a Pressure Gauge to A Bladderless Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Markgc

Reaction score
I am running an Aqua Pure system with an airator on my well. The airator is part of the Aqua Pure system and is there to remove iron from the water. Aqua Pure recommends a bladderless tank when using an airator. In fact I have a bladderless tank Quick Tank Q42VSQ with an Ametek WJ air volume control as well as the original bladder tank. I recently had draw down problems after 10 years of operation. I drained the system and found that the bladder air tank was at 10psi. I added air to 28 psi. I removed the Ametek WJ air volume controller from the bladderless tank and water came pouring out even though I had drained the system down. I replaced the Ametek WJ air volume control valve. I think that the tank must have been full to the brim with water.

I also replaced the system water pressure gauge and found that my Square D 30/50 switch was switching at 25/45. I adjusted the switch to give me 30/50.

My system seems to be working well now. Now to my question - I see that there is an 1 inch plug on the top of the Q42VSQ tank. Would it be a good idea to add a 6 inch nipple and a pressure gauge to keep an eye on the air pressure in the bladderless tank? I think that it would help to verify correct operation of that tank.

thanks Mark

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't know anything about your aerator.

A non-bladder tank does not separate the air from the water in the tank so any gauge on the tank would be reading the combined pressure, irregardless of whether it was water or air. A non bladder tank must have something in place to put air IN the tank. The WJ AVC (1-1/4" inlet float valve) only lets excessive air OUT of the tank.

Markgc

Reaction score
Yes I have just been reading about hydro bladderless tanks. The aerator is before the tank and and should be set to inject air for 1/3 of the pump up time. When it was first installed I could never get it to adjust correctly and it aerated for about 1/2 the pump up time. After several years I replaced the internal parts of the aerator when they started to leak. I was then able to adjust and obtain the correct 1/3 injection time. This might not be enough which resulted in the tank becoming waterlogged. Could I add a gauge and a faucet at the top of the tank to make it relatively easy to drain the system down and fill the tank with air by opening the faucet at the top of the tank every month or so?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Any fitting on the top of the tank is a potential place for the air to leak out. I doubt that the hole for the one inch plug goes all the way into the tank. Those top fittings are usually just to hang the tank from, when painting or coating. You can add a pressure gauge and a schrader valve to the 1/4" fitting on the AVC.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yes I have just been reading about hydro bladderless tanks. The aerator is before the tank and and should be set to inject air for 1/3 of the pump up time. When it was first installed I could never get it to adjust correctly and it aerated for about 1/2 the pump up time. After several years I replaced the internal parts of the aerator when they started to leak. I was then able to adjust and obtain the correct 1/3 injection time. This might not be enough which resulted in the tank becoming waterlogged. Could I add a gauge and a faucet at the top of the tank to make it relatively easy to drain the system down and fill the tank with air by opening the faucet at the top of the tank every month or so?
How about this... the improper air pressure in the bladder tank caused the pump to short cycle and that changed the 1/3rd pump run time and that screwed up the air volume, water logging the bladderless tank.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I would like to see how you operate or plumbed up a system with both bladder and standard tanks in one setting. Seems to me it should be all standard with air injectors on each tank.

Markgc

Reaction score
Yes that is very possible Gary. Also I have been away working for a long time and the only use of the well for months has been theAqua Pure 10 minute back flushing cycle. It is most likely that the pressure that the well pump holds during the back flush time is above the pressure that airator functions at. So no air or very little air would be injected during the backfush process.

I hope this works but here is my setup..

Last edited by a moderator:

Markgc

Reaction score
valveman

Any fitting on the top of the tank is a potential place for the air to leak out. I doubt that the hole for the one inch plug goes all the way into the tank. Those top fittings are usually just to hang the tank from, when painting or coating. You can add a pressure gauge and a schrader valve to the 1/4" fitting on the AVC.

I looked at the top of the tank and it has a 5/8 Allen screw in there. It looks glued in and I really don't want to mess with it. I bet it would take some beating to get out. Getting the AVC out was bad enough.

Are you suggesting that I put a nipple and T piece on the AVC and then add the gauge and a schrader valve.Will a valve like this work or is there a special one used for plumbing?

http://www.amazon.com/inch-MPT-Schrader-valve/dp/B0006B07BU

A close up of the AVC. You can click on the Icon for a bigger picture

Another question. I just used thread tape on the fittings and I have a slight weep on the AVC. Do you guys use pipe dope as well as thread tape generally?

thanks Mark

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes Yes and one more Yes. One reason I hate them damn valves. I call it creeping pressure itus.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks