Installing Pergo laminate flooring

Users who are viewing this thread

Kskier

Home Handyman
Reaction score
I am installing some laminate flooring. Should you start at the entry doorway & lay the boards parallel with the entry way or follow the wall line? Should you stagger the joints, or keep them the same all the way accross the room? What holds the beginning boards so they don't drift off center? I am installing edge molding as I come into the doorway. Is this what holds the boards in place?.............thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Wow, you need to get the Pergo video,as you have some basic misunderstandings.
You can lay the strips any way you want, but in general, the appearance is more pleasing if your major view....such as from the entry door...is of strips running parallel to your line of sight. If the strips run across your line of sight, especially in a narrow field of view, it looks like a ladder.

Pergo planks used to glue together, but today, I believe they just have a snap together tonque and groove joint. That takes a little practice, because you have a joint on the long edge and on the narrow edge to deal with.

Most laminate floors like Pergo are "floating". But you are putting this down on a substrate...see instructions!....and it does not "slide around". All wood floors including laminates need 1/4" to 1/2" gap around all four walls...for expansion and contraction. The base moulding strips cover OVER this gap, but do not 'fill it in'.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One other thing to consider, the prep of the subflooring. For most of these, the subfloor must be quite flat or you will get 'oil-canning' and premature wear and potential failure on the floor. Make sure to follow the instructions on the required underlayment. This is typically either foam or some other type of slip sheet and don't skimp on the proper seam treatment.

Bpetey

Reaction score
I am installing some laminate flooring. Should you start at the entry doorway & lay the boards parallel with the entry way or follow the wall line? Should you stagger the joints, or keep them the same all the way accross the room? What holds the beginning boards so they don't drift off center? I am installing edge molding as I come into the doorway. Is this what holds the boards in place?.............thanks

You should never line up all of the seams. It looks terrible and creates a weak point. Stagger them about 6". Every 4th or 5th row may line up.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to draw a line of silicone type material around the perimiter of the room Before installing all trim and moldings. It will be hidden but You will realize how critical it is the first time you mop the floor and water puddles which could ruin the planks in time. Buy the type recommended.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Laminates are very popular, and long lasting. But Pergo can not be refinished. It can be repaired, in theory. I have 3/4 Oak in most of the house, because I like it and although it is 20 years old and looks brand new for the most part, at some point it can and will be refinished. But I did not want either the look of wood, or the "issues" of wood, in the kitchen. In lieu of ceramic, I chose a pergo in a travertine pattern. The pergo is rated for kitchen/bathroom floors, and is very attractive and durable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks