copper to pvc 2"

Users who are viewing this thread

segal46

a/v technician
Reaction score
Hi,
I,m looking to cut my 2" copper drain to add a vent and a standpipe in ABS, is the fernco adapter as good as the adapter for copper to ABS which needs to be welded on 1 side. I would need to add 2 of them on top and one near the drain section at the bottom.
thx

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fernco is a brand name, but most people use the term generically to describe a neoprene sleeve connector that is clamped on each end by single hose clamps. This type of connector is for underground use only as it does not provide a ridged enough connection without soil surrounding it. For above ground use such as you describe, you need a somewhat similar device called a banded coupler. This has a stainless steel band over the entire sleeve, not just the ends. Since copper, ABS, and PVC all have slightly different outside diameters, you need couplers that match the media you are joining.

segal46

a/v technician
Reaction score
thanks for clear explanation

You used the precise term of the coupler, it's what I intend to use, but does it in plumbing terms (pass inspection codes) for me it's the easiest way to couple a 2" drain from "abs to copper"

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nukeman's photos explain it all. The reason I went into the detail I did was because many folks refer to the neoprene sleeve as a Fernco. It sounds like you're going to be just fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks