New homeowner...existing water softerner...no manual...not regenerating

Users who are viewing this thread

msomerville

Reaction score
Well the good news is everything seems to be running fine now. One thing I did do was check the connections. I noticed one of the wires for the drive motor seemed to pull out of the wire nut fairly easily. Was that the problem- I don't know. Maybe something is still starting to flake out one me and I will have to call someone down the road.

If I did need to empty the brine tank in the future I would be able to stop the softener mid-cycle? Would I just unplug the unit after it is drawn out of the tank?

Keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks for all of your help.

Matt

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the unit still having some challenges?

That lose wire could cause some challenges down the road...

If you notice that the brine tank has extra water in it, yes unpluging the system for about 30 minutes will hold the system in the spot that it is in.

The timer motor would stop and then start back up when it gets pluged back in.

msomerville

Reaction score
The last time it did filled the tank to a lower level than the previous two times. The brine enclosure has a higher level of water in it though- it looks like at the same level the brine tank had filled up to the past two times. It seems like they should be the same level if the float is used as a saftey shutoff? I did almost run out of salt in there if that makes any difference. Less displacement?

Maybe my problems aren't over.

That wire is no longer loose. Nice and tight now.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have always seen a difference in levels between in the brine well and out of the brine well.. if the difference is getting larger, then the brine tank may need to be cleaned out , the bottom of the brine tank may have some kind of build up not letting the water pass freely between tank and brine well.

If you add salt when the water has no salt in it, then the water will displace a little, but more if the water already has salt in it..

msomerville

Reaction score
There is about a four inch difference between the two. Is that telling me that the water is not passing freely or a common difference?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
4" is a bit much... you might check the bottom of the brine well to make sure that there is no kind of build up on the open holes or slots on the bottom end of the brine well.

msomerville

Reaction score
Well it's been a few months now ,and all is well. I don't have any real conclusions drawn. Whether is was loose wiring, or something dirty and clogged.

Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks