Cartridge faucet still dripping from spout after cartridge has been replaced?

Users who are viewing this thread

DarkNova

Reaction score
I have a 2 handled cartridge faucet that had been dripping from the spout, about one drip every 10 seconds maybe. The drips coming out were hot so I bought a new cartridge for the hot side, covered it with silicone grease, and replaced it. The faucet still dripped. I then tried taking the cartridge out, soaking the place the cartridge sits in with vinegar for 8 hours and scrubbed with a toothbrush, in case there were mineral deposits allowing water to slip by the O-ring, but that didn't help either. Does anyone have any other suggestions to try? Or has the faucet just corroded enough that there's a channel for water to bypass the bottom O-ring and so I need to replace the whole faucet? Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless the old part was leaking past the cartridge/stem, the body of the faucet is NOT damaged, but the piece you are using may not be the proper one, or could be an "aftermarket" model which is not to OEM specifications.

DarkNova

Reaction score
I should clarify and make sure its understood that the faucet leaked in the same way with the old cartridge. I replaced the cartridge because I thought it was worn but it has the same issue with the new one, which is why I am wondering if it is the faucet body. The replacement cartridge looks exactly the same, however, it is aftermarket (bought at *******) as I don't know what kind of faucet it is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks