Drain for Bypass Humidifier

Users who are viewing this thread

DigitalJim

Reaction score
I am getting ready to replace my whole house humidifier and would like to go with a bypass unit. Problem is, I have no floor drain.

Is it OK to run the drain into the A/C condensate pump? My concern is that the minerals in the supply water may cause a premature condensate pump failure?

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you should be okay. The concentrated liquid that comes off of the thing is still liquid, and the condenstate pump is enclosed, so more evaporation inside of its tank shouldn't be a problem. You can often install this fairly high up near the ceiling. I run mine to my washing machine stand pipe rather than the condensate pump. Because the humidifer screen acts like a secondary air filter, the runoff can have some spores and other organic stuff in it. This could require some periodic cleaning of the condensate pump's tank. If you could run it directly to the WM standpipe, you'd be better off, but I think either would work okay.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks