(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colon Cancer update, the week at the U of W Hospital

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Chiropractic for ankles

It's been quite a while since my second hospital stay, the last one being ten days, and I was still limping while walking. At first I thought it was the drain in my right side and the pain from it. So I tried real hard to make the limp go away and force it. Couldn't stop the limp.
    I then remembered that the last stay, I had been wheeled down to X-Ray, and the guy pushing me missed the opening to the X-Ray room and rammed my right foot against the door frame. It kind of hurt at the time, but I was all hopped up on pain meds.
    I went to my foot and arm chiropractor this week, and he checked out the ankle. He had to reposition the hinging of the bones structure. He was jerking it around pretty good to make up the the door slam I had gotten.
    Works much better now. I now longer feel like I have one square wheel.
    The left foot would roll forward, and the right I had to slightly hop it to move forward.
    Now they both let me roll.

David on the right is the guy that was able to fix this.

http://www.bothellfamilychiropractic.com/
    Last edited by Terry; 05-07-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Last weekend

Last weekend was interesting.
    It was a weekend that was kind of quiet, so I was thinking of a few people that I know, or that had crossed my path lately.
    Two of them, were some customers, the husband had gone through Cancer treatment and is now doing fine. I was remembering his concern and his encouragement, and that he had followed up with email to see how I was doing.
    Imagine my surprise when a big package was delivered to my front door step from them. Matt and Tara Sroka. Thanks, I can use the book for sure. The Lance Armstrong Guidebook and Planner.

I almost called my friend Bruce on Sunday, you've seen some of the hikes I've done with him. Monday morning he called and arranged to come over this Saturday to do some electrical wiring for me. Cool!

Then there were five others that I thought about, and they all emailed or called me on Monday.
    One of them took me to lunch this week.
    It was a good pick me up to start the week. Sometimes you forget how connected we all are.

I'm becoming more aware of those others around me, that are dealing with health issues.
    There are a lot of quiet brave people out there doing the best they can with what life is handing them.
    Many of them are pushing through it and coming out on the other side. Some are not doing as well, and I feel for them. At some point, we all succumb to that, but hope to put it off as long as we can. It makes me appreciate the moments and friendships I've had though the years. My son-inlaw will be dropping two of my grandkids off for babysitting on Saturday. The cycle goes on.
    Last weekend the two girls were heading down I-5 through Tacoma and were going by the Tacoma Dome. The day after my last Chemo treatment last Fall, I had taken the grandkids and Taylor to a High School Football playoff game with Bellevue High. It was the first high school game for the grandkids. It was a fun time, the game, the bands playing, the kids closer to their ages, cheerleaders and students in the stands. Lots for little girls and boys to watch.
    As they were driving by they shouted "Tacoma Dome!"
    My daughter asked what they remembered about it, and they said their grandpa had taken them there.
    It's nice to be a part of peoples lives that way, remembering experiences that stay with them. I'll have to take them up hiking more this Summer.

May 2010 out and around for lunch and book shopping.
    Up ten pounds from the low point, still down 30 pounds from where I started.
    Maybe I will try for ten more pounds and call it good.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-17-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Good to hear that you are feeling better. Getting stronger every day. It's sad to say, but sometimes it takes things like that to give you a whole different perspective on what life is really all about. Friends, and family. I worked my ass off for 30 plus years and admittedly, neglected a lot of relationships all for the quest for money and things I later found out I didn't need. So at 55 I get more enjoyment out of an afternoon with my grand daughter than I ever did from all the stupid toys I thought I had to work 80 hrs a week for.
    Perception is 3/4 of reality

Not a Master Plumber novicepiper's Avatar

Hi Terry - really really sorry for my post asking for more help - did not know of your health woes - read through your thread and am very happy to hear you are doing GREAT re not having a Col'bag and your improving - feel a tad like a voyeur not knowing you and all but please accept my best wishes...I grew up around Cancer, mum, dad aunty and uncle have all had cancer and my dad had to have the bag unfortunately - .... well again, best wishes and good to hear your all clear - you rock man! you really do.

Thanks,
    On the third surgery to fix the first surgery they did give me a tempory bag. I hope to have that removed sometime in the Summer
    Terry Love

Hey Terry - Here's a link for you if the admin don't delete it!

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...508#post257508

novicepiper
    Last edited by Terry; 05-08-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Blog Entries

The sports page today in Seattle has a story about a 33 year old with rectal colon cancer.
    The story here
    That's a lot younger then when they normaly start screening for this.
    I saw a televison ad the other day for a clinic that said colon cancer was the second most common cancer.
    I think Fast food hamburgers are taking their toll.

JEFFREY T. BECHTHOLD / UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON

Blog Entries

The latest update based on CAT scans is that I will finally be scheduled to reconnect the intestines, is that right? I've had a bypass since March, which makes playing sports a bit interesting. I've been waiting months for some things to close and up heal at the "lower end" of things. The original connection was a bit sloppy.

pic one

pic two, the little white specks are blood vessels. You are looking at the lungs.

pic three, looking at the kidney here, which is in good shape.

Blood pressure was 122 over 70, and just so you know Cookie, they take my blood pressure everytime I go for any appointment.
    I think cutting back beef a bit and taking fish oil capsules has helped.

I'm hoping for surgery in October which should give me some time to recover in time for ski season.

Nice to hear Terry!

I hope everything goes well on that Drain/Waste/Vent connection and tell them use a banded coupling so nothing can slip out of alignment and cause problems.

I look forward to hearing a lot about you using those new boards you got a while back that haven't seen much use.

Ah, Terry you just made my day with your great news! I am happy for you. Relieved, too... When you going in Terry? ... and, yes, I am glad to hear they take your blood pressure every time. I make sure I talk to people all the time about BP's, because I simply want to honor the memory of my husband who is simply irreplaceable.

Ps. Post more pics of you in the hosp in that gown again,
    I won't tell the girlfriend, lol.

Blog Entries

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...loncancer.html

Nice little article about aspirin and colon cancer.
    It also mentions that 1 in 20, or 5% of the population in developed countries will develop the disease at some time in their life.
    That makes sense, it seems everyone I know has a story about a close relative going through this.

If you know someone with colon cancer, do them a favor and get them a Toto Drake II CST454CEFG and a bidet seat.
    They will thank you for that. It makes a big difference in this whole ordeal.

Colorectal cancer is the second most common cancer in developed countries, and there are about 1 million new cases and 600,000 deaths worldwide every year. The average person has about a 5 percent chance of developing the disease in their lifetime.
    The latest news on my situation, is that they are considering redoing the original surgery. That would put me back to square one as far as a recovery would go. I was hoping with the good snow year that's expected, and the ski pass that carried over from last year, that I was going to be able to wear out those skis this year. I don't want to redo the surgery, and one doctor at SCCA is discouraging me from it too. He says scar tissue is scar tissue, cutting out the previous connection and redoing it was not his recommendation.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-24-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Yes, Terry, scar tissue is scar tissue. I agree with that man. Unless, that scar tissue is obstructing something, or causing pain, I might leave it be. But, I know nothing about colon cancer, I wish I did. I will have to learn. Get opinions and opinions, then teach me. I want to see you out on the slopes wearing out your skis, too.

I was amazed at the article about aspirin and colon cancer. Amazing. I tell my sons, to take a baby each day, the doctor confirmed it. Never found the colon in our family but, it might be an added benefit for taking it. That is great.

Anything, anyone, can suggest to someone which would help them going through this stuff, is such a blessing. It is really nice of you to mention it to others Terry. I need a new toilet, and I want the one you mentioned, the Toto Drake II CST454CEFG and the bidet. I hope others heed your advice.

I am on steriods again, WATCH OUT, lol. Drugs plays real havoc with your body.

One thing I do know about scar tissue too Terry is as in my case and which might apply to yours or others here, with the same problem, is that scar tissue is also, as I was told, dead disease. As in my case, with nodes, they are nodes which was taken out by the chemos. And, I was told, nothing to worry about because they will be there, probably forever. So, my show up on Cats, but never change in size. I was told they are scar tissue. Just wanted to add that note, in hopes it might help anyone.
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-24-2010 at 07:26 PM.

And surgery can cause adhesions which may make trouble later on.
    Nothing is simple any more. Maybe it never was.

Blog Entries

Default June 2011 Update

Here is my June 2011 update.

Since the first surgery wasn't done right, the University of Washington Hospital has decided to redo the surgery. Of course I have to pay for the second, third and forth surgery, as they say,

"These things happen".

It's not like doing a plumbing job, messing it up, and then turning it into my insurance and fixing my screw-up.
    No. Not so simple. It's a good thing that "my" insurance covers most of it.
    I can't imagine though, messing up a customers home, and then telling them that there is a co-pay.

"my mistake. Oops!"

Don't you love it.
    So anyway, this Fall I go in for Surgery number three, and if all goes well, Surgery number four to put me back almost, but then wait.........there's more. I asked about a little bump in my stomach that nobody had mentioned to me, and yes, the doctor knew right away what it was.

"That's a little perforation with a stint. That can be fixed after we are done with the rest."

So that is why they were asking me with worried faces about that part of my body?
    They knew there was a problem, but weren't going to mention it?

So anyway, since they fried me with so much radiation, they've been waiting for about a year for that to heal before they can redo their mistake. Happy thing for me, I don't have to pay for everything; just the copay. It does kind of suck missing work and having to take pain meds for a while. I hate pain medication. I'm so glad when I don't need it. At least in the last year, I've taken only a few pills, but just for skiing or softball. Otherwise I can go months right now without pain meds. I really don't like em anyway.

There was a period of time in the Winter of 2010 though, when 8:30 at night meant I would be crying from the pain. That sucked, and the doctors kept telling me I shouldn't be in that much. But then they found that the stitching had failed and I had an infection. That was the second surgery. Thank God I was at SCCA and the doctor there could see I was fading in and out of coherence and sent me to the emergency room. There they added the ileostomy since the lower colon was useless at that point, and pierced my right buttocks with a rubber tube that collected puss from the interior that had been filling up with the infection. Needless to say, when you have a tube piercing your skin, right where you would like to sit, it hurts. It hurts a lot.

But then I noticed that the bag collecting the puss started to smell, permeating the bag and making my home smell. When I asked the doctors about the smell, they argued that plastic is impervious to smell. Funny. It made my entire home smell, and when people came over, they would start opening windows and doors in the dead of Winter and start airing out the home with frigid outside air.
    After a month of that nonsense, I begged the doctors for a new bag. They said I could use the old bag, plastic bags are expensive you know and don't bother them. But I bothered them until I got the new bag. They sent me downstairs for the bag, and the guy there told me the same thing. Bags don't smell. So I told him, that he could keep my old bag and hang it on his kitchen wall for decoration. By the way, smell this ridiculous thing.

"Oh wow! Yeah, that smells."

Okay, give me an extra bag then, and when this one starts to drive people out of my home, I can change the bag myself. I'm a plumber and I should be able to unthread the connection and rethread the new one. It's not like I'm a doctor, I can do these things.

So anyway, If I treated my customers that way that I get treated, I wouldn't have any.
    It will be nice though if the next three surgeries turn out okay.
    I think my new doctor is supposed to be the best.
    It's a Russian technique and I think he's Russian. I have a good feeling this time about it.
    Last edited by Terry; 06-18-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Good luck with your upcoming surgeries Terry. Hope all goes well in the recovery. I would definitely say that plastic bags leach smells all the time. Garbage bags, even the thickest ones.

Going without pain meds is a good thing. They cause just as many problems as they do comfort. It's just a cover, nothing else.

I've been meaning to call someday soon and shoot the bull.

Blog Entries

I would like that. I have a cooling fan that you sent me, and everytime I see it, I think of you.
    I'm so glad that you survived your mishap with medication.