(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colon Cancer update, the week at the U of W Hospital

Terry, I don't often get to this part of the forum, so I just learned of your situation this morning. I'm glad things appear to be positive for you. I know that you are in one of the best places for treatment of colon cancer which should give you an edge. Continue your recovery and get back on the slopes!

hey Terry,,

im glad to hear that your doing better!

and btw,thanks for my sig,,good one since i am in the Valley!

your site here rocks!!

Hi Terry,
    Your sister here, continuing prayers for your recovery.
    By the way, Papa's cancer was from stomach cancer which the doctors didn't believe (after he had when he explained his father had died of stomach cancer). When they finally took a look inside they found stomach cancer which had spread to the lymph, and to the liver which lies next to the site the cancer started. I was in the room when Papa's surgeon came in and gave our folks the bad news. Papa's brothers also had intestinal cancers.

I hope everyone gets their checkups.
    I love you, Terry.
    Trinda

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks Trinda,
    Thanks for the update on our brother Shannon too.
    I just talked to my brother Shannon.
    He broke his leg in two places last Sunday at Stevens Pass. He was skiing a bit too fast, and he had the rear entry boots, notorious I guess for breaking lower legs. Now he needs to schedule surgery for set the bones.
    And our older brother Clare, in Hoquiam, just finished up with his rotator cuff surgery.
    That's three out of five brothers working on cancer, rotator cuff surgery and broken leg.
    Not a good year for the Love boys.

I'm still waiting for my pain levels to go down.
    I haven't driven since February 4th.
    They say I should be nearing the end soon.
    I hope.
    This thing has been kicking my ass.
    And I start Chemo again soon.
    Whoa!

The business is up and running well though, Jamie and the guys are keeping things running smooth.
    We would love to hear from our customers during this time, we need to keep busy.
    It's the best thing we can be doing right now.
    And the Eastside, Bellevue, Sammamish, Issaquah, Redmond, and parts of Kirkland still have some nice toilet rebates going on.
    Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 03-13-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Blog Entries

I just got home from the hospital.
    There was a complication from the first surgery.

When I went in for my Chemo appointment, he instead booked me into the hospital emergency room.
    He could tell I was suffering badly from pain.
    That was Tuesday the 16th
    I just got home Friday the 26th.
    It's the first time I've seen a computer in ten days.

Since there was a leak in the first surgery, they added a drain, and then two days later gave me a ileostomy bag.
    It was a rough week for me.

I haven't weighed myself for ten days,
    I had lost 35 pounds in five weeks.

Just checked my weight 3/31/2010, down to 166 pounds, started at 204 for a loss of 38 pounds.
    I'm hoping to start putting weight back on.
    The picture of me in the blue shirt was taken at 204 pounds.

A question about toilets and ostomy bags from a reader

More information about ostomy bags
    Last edited by Terry; 05-01-2010 at 03:56 AM.

Wow Terry, I had no idea you were this sick. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery! And I hope you demanded sponge baths from the cute nurses!
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Hi Terry,
    I'm glad to see that you are back up and around again.
    Jerry Mac told me that you were facing surgery again on the phone a few days back when you initially went in.
    I do hope that you have a speedy recovery and your pain is gone...

Blog Entries

Default April 16th 2009

I went in for a CT Scan on the 15th.
    It must have been OK, but the bag that drains the abscess is still filling some everyday.
    So it looks like two more weeks of that drain, it's the one causing most of the pain now.
    It's hard to find a comfortable position to sit in.
    To put if bluntly, there is a hose that is piercing my right buttocks.
    It's there to drain infection.
    It's really the reason I'm on pain meds now.

During the night, I wake up every three hours, that's why I've been posting at such strange hours.
    I wake up from pain, then take a couple of pain killers.
    You should eat when you take them, so I have some food every three hours.
    That part is fine. My appetite has returned, and at one point, I had dropped from 204 pounds down to 165 pounds.
    Today, I weighed 173.9 pounds. I'm starting to put some meat on my skinny bones.
    Keep in mind, the picture that is on this post with the blue shirt was taken when I was 204.

I picked up a laptop, and changed the wireless network to give it more coverage and speed so I can try to find positions where I can still keep working.
    They say I'm doing too much, but oh well.
    I'm keeping my son James working like a dog.
    And I will be hiring more plumbers.
    There is so much I want to do, and the last week I've had more zip in my step and I feel like I'm turning a corner.
    I daydream about running faster when this is all over. I won't weigh as much, I know that.
    So I should have more speed running bases and in the out field.
    Jamie borrowed my green bat last night, hit two home runs, and a third hit hit the top of the fence and came back in.
    I don't know if I will be putting them out, but I do envision some lazer line drives the following year.
    That would be fun.
    Not this year though. I have two incisions on my stomach. The last one has two spots where the stitches opened up, and I have to repack them with damp gauze twice a day.
    It looks pretty bad right now. But at least it doesn't hurt there.
    The hurt is on the other side.
    James picked up some inventory today, so I'll be ready when people come by to buy toilets on Saturday.
    I like to work from 10 to 1 on Saturday, just a nice way to end the week, catch up on paper work, and it's kind of fun being with my customers.
    So maybe in two weeks, they take out the drain, and I will be able to sit like a normal person.
    Slowly getting there.
    I wont be running this Summer, but I should be able to walk and hike.
    I feel the need to be up in the mountains soon.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Hi there Terry, all I can say is wow. I do not log onto the forum for a while, and I read this today. I am glad you are doing well, I will keep you in my prayers for a complete recovery.

Terry hang in there, things will get better. I applaud you for your courage in so many ways here, and for your openness in helping others by sharing your plight on this thread. You truly are remarkable.
    Last edited by Cookie; 04-22-2010 at 05:52 AM.

HI there everybody, and Terry I wish you all the luck there is. Just keep it in there. I wanted to ask a question. My wife has experienced some anal bleeding few days ago, and she just told me that she has it again. Could this be connected with cancer?

Blog Entries

That is one of the signs. Having blood in the stool.

Call her doctor today and schedule her in to be checked. It's important.

It's very common when someone reaches the age of 50.
    One third of all cancer deaths, are from Rectal Cancer.

The sooner you find out the better. This is a progressive thing, and catching a problem as early as you can is important.
    It makes a huge difference in the time it takes to repair it.

Colon Cancer Symptoms

One of the symptoms of colon cancer is a narrowing of the fecal stool, which is caused by a change in the shape and size of the colon and rectum, which can be due to a tumor. The Mayo Clinic also reports that you may see a change from your normal bowel movements. The change can be to diarrhea or constipation. An extreme change may not occur, but you may simply notice a change in the stool's consistency. Other commonly reported symptoms are rectal bleeding, or streaks of blood in the stool, abdominal pain and abdominal cramps that continually return, a lasting feeling of fullness or pressure in the bowel, tiredness and fatigue, and weight loss. Colon cancer symptoms often do not appear until the cancer has progressed and spread beyond the colon, and is affecting other organs, which is why you should be periodically screened for colon cancer, even when no symptoms are present.

Could this be connected with cancer?
    My last blood test looked real good. No cancer signs in the blood, oxygen is improved, as well as the red blood cell count.
    They took out the cancer, and in a bit I will be doing some more chemo to make sure there is absolutely nothing left that could grow back.

With Cancer, they talk about five year survival rates.
    I had an Uncle that went through something like this, and he lived to be pretty darn old.
    He went decades after his surgery.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-03-2010 at 06:36 AM.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Yep, my mother-in-law survived it to lead an almost ordinary life. And my grandmother survived something much worse in her late 50s (stomach cancer) and, at 80, now has dimentia. My grandmother was very overweight when she got cancer, weight she never regained after the illness. I sometimes wonder whether the disease actually improved her long-term prospects. Ironically perhaps, I doubt she would be alive now given how big she was. And being big, certainly helped her survive the dramatic weight loss.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 04-30-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Default A get well wish for Terry

I just wanted to say that I hope you get well soon. Your Internet pal, Wally
    wally

Hi Terry and thank you for the advice. We have booked an appointment for tomorrow and hopefully we will have some news, I hope good news.
    It is nice to hear that you are doing good.

I'll post an update as soon as I can.