Whole House Surge Protect Sub Panel

Users who are viewing this thread

accesspro

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I am finishing adding a new sub-panel for a customer.
The main panel has no more room in it and is flush mounted on the exterior of the house.
I want to add some surge protection. Would my installing a whole house surge protector at the sub-panel be much different than at the main?
The sub is mounted back to back to the main and is fed w/ #8s.

TIA

Bob

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
If it is wired into a remote distribution panel then it wouldn’t be whole house would it?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Uhhhh....that was the question.

If it's wired into the main panel thru a breaker it protects everything on the bus....right? Does iot protect anything downstream on a sub panel? If so, would it not do the same thing in reverse since th sub and main are connected?

I have no idea. I was hoping someone would know.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Uhhhh....that was the question.

If it's wired into the main panel thru a breaker it protects everything on the bus....right? Does iot protect anything downstream on a sub panel? If so, would it not do the same thing in reverse since th sub and main are connected?

I have no idea. I was hoping someone would know.

Yes it will take the surge no matter where on the system it is installed

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
IIRC the instructions call for the surge protection to be as close to the main breaker as possible. A subpanel certainly would not meet this.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
IIRC the instructions call for the surge protection to be as close to the main breaker as possible

A subpanel certainly might meet this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks