Is this water closet drain vented properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

mjsmith0

Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures of the plumbing for my water closet. (One is dry fit and the other shows it installed). Does this look like it's vented this properly? (The vent pipe will extend 4-5' farther up before it turns.)
misc%20022.JPG
misc%20023.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Unfortunately that is a VERY BIG NO. That fails inspeciton for the very real reason that such a horizontal vent would very soon be clogged with waste.

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
The last illustration would pass inspection in Chicago, I dont know about your area.The pictures you posted before wouldnt because you had those two fiitings raising the quarter bend above the vent. But like I said this last illustration would pass in Chicago. We often vent suspended toilets, p-traps or showers this way.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

mjsmith0

Reaction score
Another idea

How about this? Would this work and pass inspection? (The sanitary tee is rotated 45 degrees around the horizontal.)

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nope, 2 reasons. can't lay a san tee on its side and your vent off the back of it is still flat. Re-think the whole thing. What code are you under? If it's IPC your vent to water closet distance is unlimited and it may be far better to wet vent the whole lav throught the lav.

mjsmith0

Reaction score
One last try

Here is a variation on that design that would fit in the space I have. It is somewhat like the design I found on DIY site I showed above, but with a twist (literally!) I wonder if its too much of a pretzel?

Thanks everyone for your patience and help while I try to figure this out!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Its being wet vented from what I see. The only issue that I see is that you have too many bends before the vent

mjsmith0

Reaction score
Nope, 2 reasons. can't lay a san tee on its side and your vent off the back of it is still flat. Re-think the whole thing. What code are you under? If it's IPC your vent to water closet distance is unlimited and it may be far better to wet vent the whole lav throught the lav.
If the water closet distance is unlimited, can I do something like this. (This is a picture that show more or less how the whole system is designed.)
revised%20DWV.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks