Looking for comments on bottle traps

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott_V

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using either a Mountain MT2000 or Kohler K-9035 bottle trap drain beneath my vessel sink. Any comments on how well these work vs a traditional J-trap? The drain will be exposed and I like the sleek look of the bottle traps.

Thanks-
Scott Vroom

Bottle trap

k-9033-cp-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Codes place certain restrictions on the construction of bottle traps, but any that you see for sale probably comply. I would check the product for some kind of approval such as UPC, IAPMO, CSA, etc. Without such approval, that is a de facto ban under most codes, and also local inspectors may have their own rules.

I have never seen one in use, so I hope others can chime in here about how a bottle trap actually performs in service.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ALL bottle traps depend on an interior baffle to create the trap. This does several things;
1. It restricts the flow of water throught the trap, which is a violation of the codes.
2. They are NOT self cleaning/scouring, which is a violation of the codes.
3. The baffle is not visible so there is no way to tell it it has failed or not, which is a violation of the codes.
4. Just because something is for sale, does NOT make it code compliant.
5. And finally, they are not "adjustable" so the drain opening MUST be directly behind the sink drain's location

Scott_V

Reaction score
ALL bottle traps depend on an interior baffle to create the trap. This does several things;
1. It restricts the flow of water throught the trap, which is a violation of the codes.
2. They are NOT self cleaning/scouring, which is a violation of the codes.
3. The baffle is not visible so there is no way to tell it it has failed or not, which is a violation of the codes.
4. Just because something is for sale, does NOT make it code compliant.
5. And finally, they are not "adjustable" so the drain opening MUST be directly behind the sink drain's location

HJ, you bring up some excellent points to consider. I'll check the local codes (Palo Alto, CA) to see if bottle dranis are allowed. The supplier said the 2 models mentioned are "compliant". I'll find out what that means. I'm guessing the concern with the invisable baffle is that it could fail thereby rendering the trap function useless, allowing gasses to enter the bathroom through the unprotectted drain. Is this correct? The lack of adjustability is a concern, however I'm installing a custom teak table for the vessel and had planned to drill the vessel drain hole precisely on center with the wall drain rough out.

I'm beginning to think the bottle drain may not be a good idea and will begin searching for a high-quality brass/chrome P-trap assembly. Any brand/model suggestions are appreciated. Whatever I put in will be highly visable and must be high-quality and attractive.

Thanks,
Scott

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
One thing to watch out for is when someone says that the product is "compliant". Some products like bottle traps are not allowed by code but then you're always told that if it has the UPC or Iapmo mark then it's approved for use. The methodology just didn't make sense, why would the code forbid something then put their label on it? I took the model number of a bottle trap that a customer wanted to install because it had a upc symbol on it and looked it up on the Iapmo website for the listing. What I've found is that a product that has the listing mark on it has been approved but only some small part of the overall product, for example the bottle trap that clearly had the UPC mark was only approved for they type of material that the trap was made out of, not the style of trap. I called Iapmo to figure this out, the lady said that a bottle trap may have an approved listing for materials but the make and model number for the type of trap may not be approved, which was the case. The bottle trap being sold as a trap was not approved for a trap but the metal that it was made out of was an approved material so the manufacturers of the products put the UPC symbol on them. I've found that there are numerous products that have the UPC symbol that do not have a listing, a falsified listing or an incomplete listing. Alot of products are from China but I've also found products from Kohler and Grohe that don't comply either.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You are in California, and the California Plumbing Code says this: ( 1004.0): No trap that has concealed interior partitions, EXCEPT THOSE OF GLASS, PLASTIC, or similar corrosion resisting material, shall be used.

The code further says this ( 301.1) All pipe, pipe fittings, traps, fixtures, material and devices used in a plumbing system shall be listed or labeled by a listing agency.... and ..all materials, fixtures, or devices used or entering into the construction of plumbing systems shall be submitted to the Authority Having Jurisdiction for approval.

That last sentence means a local AHJ ( your city ) may further restrict plumbing installations even if otherwise compliant with state code. That provision is what is still keeping PEX out of a lot of cities in CA, even though the state code allows it.

Scott_V

Reaction score
You are in California, and the California Plumbing Code says this: ( 1004.0): No trap that has concealed interior partitions, EXCEPT THOSE OF GLASS, PLASTIC, or similar corrosion resisting material, shall be used.

The code further says this ( 301.1) All pipe, pipe fittings, traps, fixtures, material and devices used in a plumbing system shall be listed or labeled by a listing agency.... and ..all materials, fixtures, or devices used or entering into the construction of plumbing systems shall be submitted to the Authority Having Jurisdiction for approval.

That last sentence means a local AHJ ( your city ) may further restrict plumbing installations even if otherwise compliant with state code. That provision is what is still keeping PEX out of a lot of cities in CA, even though the state code allows it.

I was looking at a Mountain Plumbling MT1000 bottle trap in the local plumbing supply store several days ago. I opened it up and it clearly had a plastic interior partition tube. Based on what you are saying this particular model would be code compliant.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Because the IPC does not allow them. they are pretty much a drum trap. They are not self scouring.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Bottle Traps

Is the design of a Bottle Trap any more or less *reliable* than a P trap under a lavatory sink.

Just looking at P traps as the sink will be exposed...and came across the bottle trap designs as well.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The problem you will have with a bottle trap, is that is must perfectly center up to the lav.

Most traps have a 4" swing, which means there is an 8" range that the trap arm can be plumbed to, and still hit the sink or lav drain.
Install a bottle trap, and the lav hole "must" be cut to the drain location, not to the cabinet layout.

I prefer to center a lav on the wall space, or to the cabinet layout.
If you only have the bottle trap, the odds that it's in the right location is slim to none.
But homeowner's will figure that out soon enough.

k-9033.jpg

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
Thx for the thread redirect Terry.
Not self scouring..and limited to no tolerances in install.

I'll think I'll stick to J traps.
For all you plumbers out there, what variants do you like.
I have used 2 Kohler Chrome J traps in exposed environments in the past and the brass was heavy gauge, and chrome finish was of good quality *not thin*

Drain Surgeons - is there a preferred brand of J trap (chrome, etc) you may possibly recommend for expossed installs.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A "P" trap is completely "reliable" because you can see the entire trap. The only way it can fail is if the metal gets a hole in it, and then it leaks so you know it has to be replaced. There are very expensive "P" traps with a cast "J" bend, and others which are all tubular brass. Either is satisfactory, the difference between them is how much money you wish to spend.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks