(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: softener introducting air into my water lines

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    You're wrong about the 9000 and 2510.

Look at the spec sheets for them and you'll see Rapid Rinse listed after brine draw, that is an upflow backwash and Fleck valves have had that for decades:

Product Features
    • Fully adjustable 5-cycle top mount control delivers
    controlled upflow backwash, downflow brining and slow
    rinse, rapid rinse, brine refill and downflow service

Looking it up, yes you're right about Autotrol.

So you're wrong on 2 out of 3 that you listed.

I think you are the one that is mistaken. Rapid rinse is NOT a backwash--rapid rinse is down flow while backwash is upflow. A 5 cycle valve provides 1. Backwash; 2. brining/slow rinse; 3. Rapid rinse; 4. brine refill; 5. Service

If you go to page 44 of the manual for the 9000 valve you will see that rapid rinse (also known as settling rinse) is downflow. http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com...al%2040944.pdf

I expect an apology for your incorrect statement that my post was incorrect.
    Last edited by Bob999; 02-14-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: add information

If the bypass or the valve is the reason for the air.. that means that there would be water coming out.. if there is a leak for air to get in , then water can get out of that same leak.

Air will find a way of working past the media that is in the tank. When there is a large amount of air it is more likely to happen, if there is only an inch or so of air at the top of the tank then it will most likely stay there til the next backwash, but if there is more air, say 17 inches of it, then it is more likely to work its way through the media and into the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    Yeah I was looking for Rapid Rinse and didn't read the rest of what I copied/pasted. I see that manual is dated 2006. I looked through it some but can't find anything in it about an option with final rinse and brine refill being combined. That may be the version I used that had a second BW. IIRC (Bob, that's if I recall correctly) to enable that etc. the supplier ordered the valves with different colored cams (white and black), one was stock, the other was 'extended' for the lack of a better term. And IIRC (Bob, that's if I recall correctly) the different pistons were like green and gray but I'm not sure. Maybe they don't do that anymore for water conservation or, they don't have it in a consumer manual which is what you posted. That does not mean there is another manual for distributors/suppliers but there may be.
    Class will be in order..
    White cam for 1500,2500,2750 was for a combo of the rapid rinse and brine tank refill
    Black cam for the same valves was for a rapid rinse and then a brine tank refill.
    The pistons for the 5600 are different.. black end plug is for filter valve, white is for softener , green is for the 6700 valve and the orange one is for the WaterSoft 5600 wana be.

But the owner did not have the air problem with the softener off line, only on did the owner have the problem with the air..

If it is the well pump, be it in the well or a jet pump that is bring the air in it is going to do so with or with out the system in service.

Previous member

Yep, that be true now that I go back and read the OP. So.... guess we're back to that durn ole brine line

I wounder if some salt got down the brine well ... and there is a piece of salt keeping that plug from seating when it needs to seat....

You guys may have solved my problem. Over the past year I have had air bubbles in my water. I thought that I was beginning to have problems with the water supply in my well. Then I began to notice that the more I ran my water over several days the bubbles diminished or went away entirely depending on how much water I used. Then whenever my Culligan water softener cycled the bubbles came back. I searched and came across this forum. I went down and took my brine valve apart. I quickly discovered that the problem was me. I took the whole thing apart last year to clean it (including the brine valve) and put the brine valve back together wrong. I purchased a service manual for my water softener 26 years ago and after looking at the illustration and how I had put the valve together a year ago I quickly saw the problem. I will let you know how things are after a few cycles of my water softener.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-18-2012 at 10:03 AM.