Softener introducing air into my water lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wounder if some salt got down the brine well ... and there is a piece of salt keeping that plug from seating when it needs to seat....

weekend warrior

Reaction score
You guys may have solved my problem. Over the past year I have had air bubbles in my water. I thought that I was beginning to have problems with the water supply in my well. Then I began to notice that the more I ran my water over several days the bubbles diminished or went away entirely depending on how much water I used. Then whenever my Culligan water softener cycled the bubbles came back. I searched and came across this forum. I went down and took my brine valve apart. I quickly discovered that the problem was me. I took the whole thing apart last year to clean it (including the brine valve) and put the brine valve back together wrong. I purchased a service manual for my water softener 26 years ago and after looking at the illustration and how I had put the valve together a year ago I quickly saw the problem. I will let you know how things are after a few cycles of my water softener.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin2u

Reaction score
I put in a new softener 4 months ago and get air in my water after every re-gen. I hope this will help me. Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
I put in a new softener 4 months ago and get air in my water after every re-gen. I hope this will help me. Thanks in advance.
I guess you wonder why you get air. Vacuum leak in the path, or a bad air check valve.

If your brine line is close-enough to transparent, watch during a regen during BD (brine draw). A vacuum leak will show up while there is still brine there, if the leak is not right at the valve. A blob of shaving cream around where the brine line connects to the valve will show the shaving cream sucking in if that is the location of the leak. A leaky air check valve will show up after the brine has been sucked out.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Post a picture of the brine tank and the valve inside the brine tank. There are some really good units on the market, and there is some real junk out there. Regardless, remove the float assembly, clean the bottom part that is typically under water, and check the brine line carefully for leaks.

House

Reaction score
Post a picture of the brine tank and the valve inside the brine tank. There are some really good units on the market, and there is some real junk out there. Regardless, remove the float assembly, clean the bottom part that is typically under water, and check the brine line carefully for leaks.

Hello Dittohead,

I would love if you can send me some recommended suppliers to buy the following system.

Looking to DIY a softner at my Round Rock, TX (City water) 1800sqft 3Bed 2 Bath home with 2 people (1" PEX loop installed). The local hardness is in the 12-18gpg range. I have landed on a Flex 5810SXT 32000 with 1cf resin,10% and a stainless bypass. Also, thinking of adding in a sediment filter.

Thanks for your time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks