Wiring for boat lift motor

Users who are viewing this thread

FlaMike

Reaction score
Motor is currently serviced by 12ga romex which I do not believe is enuf for the long run out the dock.
I have a new circuit, 50amp breaker, 8ga stranded copper, to start from the house. We are looking at 700ft from the panel to a 1 hp motor which draws 13.4amps @ 115v. I plan to run wiring in PVC. Questions: do I have to use #8 wires or could I use #10 with a #12 ground? Does stranded vs solid copper make any difference?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some motors can be rewired to run at either 110 or 220vac. If yours can, consider rewiring it for 220. The voltage drop would be less, allowing you to run smaller wires. See what the pros have to add.

Lightwave

Reaction score
Motor is currently serviced by 12ga romex which I do not believe is enuf for the long run out the dock.
I have a new circuit, 50amp breaker, 8ga stranded copper, to start from the house. We are looking at 700ft from the panel to a 1 hp motor which draws 13.4amps @ 115v. I plan to run wiring in PVC. Questions: do I have to use #8 wires or could I use #10 with a #12 ground? Does stranded vs solid copper make any difference?

To be frank, if you have to ask about hooking up #10 to a 50 amp breaker, then you don't have the background to do this job safely. Please call an electrician before you hurt someone.

When it comes to wiring marine equipment at extreme distances, what you--and most non-pro message board participants, including myself, don't know--can very easily kill you. In addition to the minimum safe wire size for your breaker, you also need cable intended for use below ground (in PVC), you need to deal with the voltage drop issue somewhow, you need to meet requirements for motor overcurrent protection and service disconnects, and you need to address grounding and GFCI issues specific to dock equipment. #8 wire probably won't burn up under fault current held by a 50A breaker, but it won't address any of the other issues.

Call a pro.

I suspect the easiest solution may be to use a portable generator.

FlaMike

Reaction score
THANKS!.... agree a portable generator is best solution.... saves $$ and many hours in the wetlands and needed one anyway for outages.

alfredjoaquin

Reaction score
Before repairing it, I think it needs a lot of experience for giving a connections.So i would suggest you to go for a good electrician.

skdaddle

Reaction score
It may be possible to get your local power company to install a meter pole closer to your dock, where you could install a panel box with GF breakers for the dock system. 700' is a long way.

skdaddle

Reaction score
Ha, it sure is! I am also well under a few days new to this site, still have lots to learn about navigating it, thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks