Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

jim

Reaction score
I replaced my old toilet years ago and the new toilet never did sit flush on the floor. It sat up about 3/8" and I had to shim and caulk it. The flange sits up, its not flush on the floor like the newer houses I've seen. I want to install a new toilet but I would like the toilet to sit flush on the floor, not rock on the flange. It just seemed like my original toilet was larger underneath than the new one. My question is this, are all toilets standard as far as the height-to-flange is concerned and the width of the underside toilet to fit the flange? The original toilet (square in the front) sat flush, put the replacement (round in the front) didnt. The house was built in 1956 and the flange is big cast iron and has a big lip. Is the toilet flange to big (diameter) for the new toilets. Are the new toilets they are making now days not made to fit well on the old cast iron flanges. Any ideas? Thanks
Jim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most new flanges are around 1/4" thick and are designed to sit with their bottom on top of the finished floor. If yours is much thicker than this, my guess is you'll have the same problem. The flange should be bolted to the floor to provide a good anchor point for the toilet. not sure how much trouble it will be to replace it, if that is required.

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The bottom line is that the closet flange needs to be sitting flat & level on the finished floor surface. The size of the gap under the toilet or the thickness of the closet flange, (which is basically the same on all toilets no matter the age) shouldn't be a factor when looking for a new toilet to install.
If the flange is causing the problem of the toilet not sitting level on the floor, that is what will need to be corrected.

jim

Reaction score
What I dont understand is the lip of the flange does not sit flush on the floor but the original toilet did sit on the floor (no gap). The replacement toilet didnt sit on the floor making me to believe that there was a change in the design of the toilet. I made no changes in the flooring and the old toilet sat flush on the floor and the new one didnt. Its just confusing to me. I guess I'll just have to shim and caulk the toilet to make up for the gap. :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You were lucky with the old toilet...if the flange sat flat on the floor as it is designed to, you would not have this problem. You can install the toilet as you planned, or fix the flange. Do you have any access from below? The flange may be crooked because the pipe does not come up straight, or (less likely) it was installed sloppily, or maybe the house has shifted. Is the floor level? Is the top of the flange level?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks