(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: What is the best salt...???

DIY Junior Member

Smile What is the best salt...???

What would you all say about what is the best "brand" and "type" of salt to use...??? I do not care about the cost, just want to use the best for the long term in my brine tank?

thanks for your help folks. it is great to have all of you here helping out all of us home owners !!!!

If you are using staight salt then the I recommend a good quality solar salt. In my experience Morton brand is good. My definition of "good" is based primarily on being clean--very little "dirt".

The alternative is a pellet salt. There are several brands and generally they are very clean and also have an additive that is supposed to help clean the resin. The downside of pellet salt is that a binder is used to hold the pellets together and in the past this sometimes caused problems.

Small amounts of dirt in solar salt don't really cause a problem other than a gradual buildup in the bottom of the brine tank over time that will have to be cleaned out.

99% of the time I am using the Morton Blue bag, extra course for system start up or delivery for customers. If there is the need for extra cleaning then some Iron out in between the bags that go into the brine tank.

Depending on the water that is getting treated, the cleaning out of the brine tank every X number of years is always a good idea.

Solar crystal salt without the resin cleaner additive and don't fill the tank. If you need a resiin cleaner for iron, mix it in a gallon or two of water and pour it into the water in the brine tank and do a manual regeneration. That works the best.
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 02-08-2010 at 08:25 AM.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

DIY Junior Member

Can you tell me pro & con on ........"Morton system saver II" vs "Morton crystal solar salt"................."Diamond crystal pellets" vs "Diamond crystal solar salt"...???

Will the pellet type of salt not work as well in the brine tank??

Solar causes the fewest if any salt related problems with the operation of a softener, and it's always the lowest cost. It doesn't matter what brand, salt is salt.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.