Moen rough in valve 3320 3330

Users who are viewing this thread

Ysbelman

Reaction score
I need some advice, i may have screwed up the way i positioned my rough in. This unit is by Moen, used for shower head and hand held spray. I'm attaching some pictures to show what is wrong with it. Basically the bottom handle is way out and has too much clearance, while the top nob bottoms out. These valves are pull/push, plus left/right. So when i push the top all the way in, it bottoms out on the trim piece :( I installed it somewhat to the spec, With the "plaster" plate, the unit is 3/8" inside the tile. Which is supposedly an option for thin walls (installing behind). The valves a sort of plumb, not perfect, but close. Any advice? Do i need to break the wall behind and redo? photo 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 5.jpgphoto.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Re. the bottom handle; There is NO SUCH thing as "too far out" as far as the manufacturer is concerned, unless the trim plate will not go on and touch the wall. It may be "too far out" as far as your wishes are concerned, but that is a personal preference, not an installation parameter. By ositioning it at that depth in the wall, and not installing it plumb you have created the situation, and unless you reposition the valve, you will need an "extension kit" which will move the handle an additional inch formward. Still not "too far out", but it might affect your sensibilities. This is partly the reason that plumbers prefer to install the valve farther forward, rather than deeper into the wall, regardless of how the customer saw it on a display board created by a designer who was only concerned about how it looked, NOT how it could actually be installed. But then, I try to NOT have the customer buy Moen tub/shower valves whenever possible because they have the "worst" handle designs, other than the crystal teardrop one, I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Ysbelman

Reaction score
HJ, u made me feel a lot better!!! thank you. My thoughts exactly on two points: handle design is of minutest of tolerances - for "rough in" plumbing. Two, i wish i wasn't my own customer :) I do want to get this sucker to "show room" look&feel, to validate $700 i spent on this headache. Question about this 1" extention tube. I called the Moen people and they told me the extension tube is not machinable, but when i look at this pic, i think it could be. :D Especially the top one. The bottom one, i think i can file the original one down as well. Top needs 5mm extension, bottom needs 5mm reduction.

moen extension tube.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you file things down, you probably won't like the results. SOme of the stuff is plated plastic, and you'll end up with it peeling off. Regardless, you'll expose the internal base metal, if it is metal, which will cause it to corrode sooner. You need to try to get the thing plumb with the wall so they are even.

Ysbelman

Reaction score
good news.. i think - for me and for Moen. But i need confirmation from real plumbers. Posting pictures, because there ain't a way to describe. The top knob doesn't push/pull but 4mm when it's free of any trim, it only rotates right/left. Which leads me to a conclusion - it's not supposed to move right left and my installation (first time at plumbing) was right, and plumb enough. Does a user's manual exist for this unit? Got the installation-by-picture pdf, but an actual explanation of how this thing works!?
photo52.jpgphoto3.jpg

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Did you alreay cut through the rear wall and remove the 2x4 support?? You should be able to manipulate it into perfect position now.

Ysbelman

Reaction score
Yep! doing that now. Hands dirty, but grinning!!! I have more clearance than i thought. Thanks Export!

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Good for you. You got lucky with access behind the valve rough in. That tile job looked pretty nice. It's worth triple-checking a valve for perfect orientation and mocking up your sheeting/tile/mastic thickness if you are unsure. I know exactly what you mean about the playskool looking Moen picture-directions. I used to pull my hair out trying to rely on them until I learned enough to not need them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks