Pop Up Drain in Vessel Sink Drains Slowly

Users who are viewing this thread

rickparsons

Reaction score
I have a vessel sink that drains slowly. I figured it was the lack of positive pressure. I have a pop up drain with just two small oval openings for water and air to go through. Any recommendations on how to get past this problem on a sink with no overflow? Thanks.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
many of the older designs can't be raised more...some of the pop ups are on the rod wrong by 180 degrees...

rickparsons

Reaction score
Pop Up Drain pictures

Here is a picture of the relatively new drain from inside the bowl and below the vanity. It looks like I can raise the threads.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 635
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 618

rickparsons

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input. It's too bad if we have a drain with that problem. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement pop up drain? Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

Making it drain quickly with a K-7124 pop-up drain for vessels.

A vessel lav without the overflow will not drain well unless the drain opening allows a lot of air through.
The old standard grid drains for pubic bathrooms used to work because the lav had an overflow near the top, allowing air to pull through. The small holes of a grid drain tend to stick the water and the basin fills up instead of quickly draining out.
Some drains are made for this. One way is a pop up drain that gets high enough to allow air to pull through. Come make an domed and elongated grid drain that gets high enough to allow some air through. I prefer the drains that pop up fairly high.

vessel-drain-oregon.jpg

The pop-up drain gets high enough.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks