Thermo-siphoning in Active Solar Hot Water System

Users who are viewing this thread

flyaway

Reaction score
I have a serious thermo-siphoning issue - 25 to 30 degree overnight temperature losses from solar hot water tank. Replaced a Watts 1/2 inch check valve which was most logical culprit. Installed a new Kitz 3/4 inch check valve. Still have same problem. When I close off the glycol ball valve, my overnight heat loss is about 3 degrees; that is, no thermo-siphoning.

I do have a Metlund on demand recirculation pump installed above the solar hot water tank. I do not believe this is an issue.

System pump is a Taco. Thinking about adding a Grundfos pump with built in check valve. The entire system is essentially SunEarth components: collector, tank and controller.

Any good thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I'm stumped but determined.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Without knowing more about your system and its controls, we cannot help you. BUT, normally that would indicate a control problem, since the system should ONLY operate when the solar panel temperature is in excess of the water storage tank, and there was a need to raise the tank's temperature. With the average system, it loses temperature when the pump runs at the wrong time and then the solar panel becomes a "radiator" rather than a "collector".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks