(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Is there any acceptable way to glue a PVC fitting onto a galvanized pipe stub?

Default Is there any acceptable way to glue a PVC fitting onto a galvanized pipe stub?

I'm removing an old sink trap from a relocated kitchen. What was there was a 2" steel soil stack with a tee close nippled right into another tee with the tee part going up as a vent and tying into the vent stack about 3 feet up and the other arm going to the trap. I cut out the horizontal tee leaving a short threaded 2" stub on the stack and the 1 1/2 vent, but when I tried using rubber connectors to fit an ell to reconnect the stub to the vent the distance is too short to make that work even when I used a 1 1/2 street ell into a 2" bushing.

What does work geometrically is a vent ell right onto the threaded stub. Is there a way to just glue it on? Yes I know I could cut out the vertical tee, or cut open the wall and cut out the vent tee, but I'm trying to keep this simple and not have to repair so much of the old plaster. I'm assuming that just rubber capping off the stub and the bottom of the defunct vent line would not be acceptable and I would at least have to cap the vent where it's horizontal. Thanks for any ideas, even if it's just suck it up and hack out the plaster.

Plastic pipe is SOLVENT WELDED...meaning both pieces of plastic are melted by the solvent cement, are blended together with the little twist, and the joint sets up as one coherent plastic mass.

There is NO method of gluing plastic pipe to metal .

nope...no glue...

How about a picture of what you are trying to do? There is no way to attach ANY plastic fitting to a steel pipe without a proper transition joint. IN fact you need a transition to join most pipes when they are different materials. AND a vent elbow is about the worst idea you could have in a drain system. THAT is why they are called "VENT elbows".

Thanks all, sounds like it won't work. Plan B time. I'm going to try and cut out the stub of the nipple from the inside so I can thread in a transition bushing to pvc.

HJ: this is a vent, that why I thought I could use a vent elbow. Sorry I didn't post a picture first, but I just built a new PC after my motherboard croaked and didn't yet have the CAD installed.

You can go from plastic (PVC or ABS) to steel by means of a neoprene coupling. Use the kind that have a stainless steel sleeve over the whole thing.
    If it is convenient you can transition at a threaded joint. Ensure that the plastic parts are on the inside threads. Plastic female threaded parts exist, but they are very easy to split with only a little torque.

In closing, I cut out the stub of the nipple with the sawzall and threaded in a bushing to 2" pvc pipe, then used a reducer bushing and a 1 1/2 street ell to get in position to use a rubber coupling to the vertical vent. I guess I was being a pussy not wanting to mess further with the old galvanized tee. Thanks all.

Now you have confused me. If that connection was at the lower tee, WHAT was it venting? The drawing makes no sense if that pipe is just a vent connecting the two lines together.

HJ, I had cut out a tee leading to both the vent and the trap, and reconnecting the vent involved less time consuming repair of old plaster than cutting enough wall out to cut off the elbow on the vent line and cap them both.