Drain & Vanity centerline offsets

Users who are viewing this thread

FJK

Reaction score
I am remodeling a bathroom and 2 36" vanitiys were located on either end of an 8' wall, with the drain rough-ins 18" from the side walls. In the remodel, we are locating smaller vanitys off the centerline of the 8' wall to give a free standing furniture look. On center of the wall will be a drawer cabinent with the sink vantys on either side. The sizes of the cabinet & vanitys first propsed by the little lady will not even cover the existing rough-in drain & supply lines. If we go with wider sink vanitys, I'lll at least covver the existing rough-ins, but the drain will be on the outer edge of the cabinet. Is this a workable condition?

If I move the drains & supplys inboard toward the centerline of the 8' wall, my lack of experience is in moving the drains. Since this bath is on the 2nd floor, I assume the PVC drains drop straight down. Is this just a matter of putting in ~ 16" horizontal run & then econnecting to the vertical drops, or is more involved? Guidance is needed here. I know this is premature to be asking what to do before the wall is opened up, but I'm trying to gain knowledge to discuss this with the little lady beforehand. Even though I tore out most of the drywall, I wasn't planning to do it on the vanity wall. Poor me.

So, can I offset the drains in the cabinet base or are we talking major drain relocation in the walls.

Thanks guys, FJK

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOur assumption that the drains drop straight down may be completely erroneous. More often they will go horizontally to a central vertical riser somewhere near the center between the two sinks. The water lines could do the same thing.

FJK

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, cacher & hj. Looks like we'll be going with wider vanitys & center cabinets and we could at least cover the existing rough-ins. By my calculations, the new centerline of the vanity to the rough-in would have approx. a 3" offset. Can that be accomodated by the P trap? The orginal problem in sizing the vanitys was that SOMEONE thought an 8' wall was 80" long, lol.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The swivel of a P trap, and if needed an 1/8 or 1/16 bend off the wall will accomodate quite a bit of offset. Since you are doing a large remodel, don't immediately rule out just opening up the wall to put the pipes where you need them to accomodate the vanity you really want. Not as much work as it may seem.

FJK

Reaction score
10/4 on that Jimbo. I'm just talking it through with you guys, so I'm ready for the next step. I'm currently pulling off drywal from every wall except the wall in question.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks