Moen Hydrolock

Users who are viewing this thread

FrankH

Reaction score
Hi all, The story, Last week I installed a Moen Kitchen faucet with side sprayer hydrolock connection. It leaked from the top of the hydrolock connector where it meets the supply tube from the faucet. Took the connection apart several times but no luck.
Finally had enough and took the faucet back for an exchange. It does the same thing.
The connector merely pushs on and you push the locking clip. Is it possible to mess up something this simple or am I getting bad faucets? Thanks, Frank

moen_hydrolock_clip.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
These faucets are pretty much," idiot proof".

I have to say you are getting a bad batch of faucets

Before you put the next one together, place some silicone grease on the brass end and slide in gently, just to make sure o-rings are not being ripped

Last edited:

FrankH

Reaction score
Just installed my third faucet, from another retailer and a different model Moen.
Used the grease on the fittings. Leaks just like the others. Same location.
I just don't get it!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of where it is leaking so that we could try and determine if the locks have been damaged in any way, or whether they may be defective?

I've never had a problem like that, but I would be interested In finding the cause

FrankH

Reaction score
Here's a pic. Leaks out the very top of the lock where it meets the brass tube and then runs down the connector and hose.
Doen't leak constantly. Usally about five minutes after washing dishes it will drip maybe a teaspoonor so of water.

moen_hydrolock.jpg

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Ok, lets start from the begining,

Is it possible that the leak is coming from your sink deck where the faucet is mounted? The faucet should have come with a plastic under plate to seal the faucet to the sink. If the sink isn't completely flat, the water may sneak under the faucet.Plumbers putty would fix that little gap.

Check the spout and or vacuum breaker for any leaks at the faucet base.

FrankH

Reaction score
I poured quite a bit of water all around where the faucet and deck meet and no sign of leaking underneath. Spout doesn't seem to leaking or running back down to the faucet. I don't really know what a vacuum breaker is.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
. I don't really know what a vacuum breaker is.

A vacuum breaker is a device that will stop any water from syphoning back into the water system. A small backflow preventer.

On those spray hoses, it would usually be where the hose meets the faucet. In some cases, it would be mounted inside the back side of the spout . I'm not sure why 3 different faucets are creating the same symptom. Have you tried calling moen directly for any answers to your model faucet. ,,,,, BTW, what model faucet do you have?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It would be extremely odd to get 3 different faucets with the same problem...i am willing to bet you are doing something wrong...you need to be under the sink and watch and trace back to where the leak originates...not just where you see it drip from...the 2 may not be the same...be sure you are not tearing the O ring when you install it...it doesn't take much...

nathannookie

Reaction score
Same problem

Here's a pic. Leaks out the very top of the lock where it meets the brass tube and then runs down the connector and hose.
Doen't leak constantly. Usally about five minutes after washing dishes it will drip maybe a teaspoonor so of water.

moen_hydrolock.jpg

I am having the exact same problem. I've had two of them now, bought at Home Depot in Hollywood CA. Leaks just like yours does. We're taking them both back to HD tonight. Seems like a poor design to us, unless we're doing something wrong, but then it seems like a no brainer. Just slide it on, and push the button down till it clicks. One leaked a little, the other leaks much more.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry about the leaks you are having....and not that it is related to your leak, but the Teflon tape we see in two places in the photo is SO wrong!

moen_hydrolock.jpg

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
Looking at that picture I would think that the connector is not pushed all the way up. They usually push-on and then you have to give it a little extra push to get it to sit properly.

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
Also, ummm did you forget to using the mount plate or do you just freely put it in to test for the leak first?

Dick L.

Reaction score
Same problem as noted above after 2 years of use as a new install/kitchen remodel. Replaced the two O rings on the "male" part of the Hydrolock system. Is there another set of O rings internal in the plastic Hydrolock connector as well ? Also, Hydrolock is only about 3/4 to 1 inch overall length - no where as long as unit shown in photos above.

Anyone have same problem - and how was it fixed - short of returning faucet assembly for a different brand or model?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks