Replacing heat element

Users who are viewing this thread

commosmart1

Reaction score
I have a Whirlpool 50 Gallon hot water heater and I replaced the 3500watt top heating element with a 4500 watt element. Will this be ok or will it cause damage? Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I really suspect that the original element in a 50 would have been 4500 watts. Has it been replaced before?

The thermostats are undoubtedly rated for at least 4500 watts. The circuit breaker wants to be a 25 amp( or 30), with # 10 wire. ALthough it would have been unusual, but if the original element was really 3500 watts, then it could have been connected to a 20 amp breaker, #12 wire. THAT would be unsatisfactory for the 4500 watt upgrade.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is no way we can tell what your wiring looks like, but normally a water heater and its circuitry is adequate for 4500 watt elements. The wiring is "beefed up" for 5500 watt elements, however. Replacing the upper element with a larger one, however, usually does nothing to increase the heater's performance, BUT, when the upper element fails, it USUALLY means the lower one is bad also.

KatScat

Reaction score
Hello, I just wanted to jump in here to thank hj. I saw your comments in another post (now I can't find it!) where you described perfectly what was happening to my son's water heater. Through this forum and some youtube videos, we were able to diagnose a burnt out element, buy a new one and replace it. He now has the hot water restored without a huge repair bill! Hurray!! Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks