Insulating BoilerCopper Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Are there foam insulation tubes that melt onto the copper pipes? I do not want this to happen. I have a boiler with several feet of exposed 3/4" tubing in the basement and am trying to find the best way to do it.

Thanks for any replies!

juror58

Reaction score
I've insulated my boiler lines with the grey foam insulating tubes from Home Depot. (1/2", 3'4", and 1" lines.) They've been there, unmelted, for nearly 15 years. The temp of those lines never gets above 180, even those coming right out of the boiler.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I've insulated my boiler lines with the grey foam insulating tubes from Home Depot. (1/2", 3'4", and 1" lines.) They've been there, unmelted, for nearly 15 years. The temp of those lines never gets above 180, even those coming right out of the boiler.

The box-store stuff typically only comes in 3/8" wall (~R2) varieties. It's better than nuthin', but 3/4"-1" wall thickness stuff is "worth it" for temps over 130F. Even the cheap stuff can handle temps up to 160-180F, but over 200F a lot of it starts to break down. If you can't find it locally find it online. Grainger sells a pretty good selection, if nobody else in your neigborhood does. Some Ace Hardware stores carry 3/4"-wall stuff.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not saying that insulating is a bad thing and in some locals it is the code. But the truth of the matter is that in an average basement, when you run the numbers, insulating the pipes would take a few hundred years to pay itself back.

dsorkin

Reaction score
If there is ever a fire in the house the foam insulation will produce toxic smoke when burned. Fiberglass insulation will not burn.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks