Is there a gas WH with an EF of .67 or greater?

Users who are viewing this thread

trw888

Reaction score
I plan on replacing my gas water heater soon. I want to take advantage of my state’s cash for clunker appliance program coming up next month. However, in order to get the $200 rebate, the new heater (storage) has to have an EF rating of at least .67. As far as I can tell, regular storage tanks seem to top out at about .63. Do I have that right?

Thanks.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nope, I haven't bought one in Tucson yet so I couldn't tell you.
Check with the local dealer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I haven't bought any, and have not checked the most recent pricing, but when they first came out, they were CONSIDERABLY higher than a conventional tank type. You will use all of that $200.00 rebate, plus some additional, to buy the heater, but might break even, eventually, by lower operating costs.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In addition to the $200 you can also claim a 30% income tax credit up to $1500.
Depending on your income you may also qualify for grants under the Weatherization Assistance Program as well check with your state for details.
All of those combine to make the upgrade affordable...

trw888

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great feedback. I really appreciate it.

I'm going to get an estimate for the ultra-efficient Bradford-White. And, while I'm at it, for a tankless so I know all my options. Our water heater still works, but it's clearly on its last legs. So, I want to get this all figured while I have time.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The condensing AO Smith Vertex, and Vertex 100 tanks also fill the bill. You may want to compare price/performance on 'em with the BW unit.

If you're a low volume user (1-2 person family, sub-10 minute showers, no soaking tubs or spas to fill on a regular basis) you'll get better efficiency out of a condensing tankless. See:

http://www.aceee.org/conf/08whforum/presentations/1a_davis.pdf

trw888

Reaction score
Thanks Dana. Interesting information. Unfortunately, we just found out our house has termites. So, the extra money we planned on putting toward the water heater will have to go to dealing with the termites. We'll be getting a regular tank heater. So it goes.

lindyq

Reaction score
I have a standard gas water heater that's on its last legs, so I'm researching my options. It's in the middle of the basement, and vents up through the flue, I think. It's a 3 story house in New England, with hot air furnaces. I've gotten a quote for an AO Smith Conservationist, but I have a few questions. 1. Is it true that anything more efficient will require expensive venting? 2. Is the conservationist worth the extra expense? 3. Is there another comparable model that I should consider? 4. Does the quoted price seem reasonable? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pros here prefer Bradford White or Rheem. Pricewise, it varies a lot by region, and how good access and other issues there may be.

PJM

Reaction score
I'm also looking for a new water heater and the AO Smith Vertex uses cheap PVC or ABS for venting that can go out the side of the house & are more efficient than the Conservationist. http://www.hotwater.com/products/residential/gas.html Bradford White & State also make similar units but they are all expensive around $1500 to $2000. Some tankless also vent horizontally but, not with plastic pipe. I'm curious about the new heat pump electric units here: http://cafs.ahrinet.org/gama_cafs/sdpsearch/search.jsp
Would these be less expensive to run versus gas since they are rated at 2 & 2.35 EF ? They are around $1500 also. trw888 All models I've mentioned including most tankless are eligible for rebates & tax credits
Dana wouldn't a high rated GPM tankless be best for a big tub? A salesman told me the vertex 100 with it's 50 gallon tank really only gives a 35 gallon "dump" but, AO Smith's brochures say their 1st hour & recovery rate is better than a regular 75 gallon tank I don't know who to believe. http://www.hotwater.com/lit/brochures/AOSRG01000.pdf
Here is another one lindyq that uses pvc pipehttp://www.rheem.com/product.aspx?id=EE3D5D0D-0FDF-4EF1-B8BD-378FBFA903CC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks