Skiing at Crystal Mountain, WA

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like this early morning video from the top of Crystal Mountain.

http://vimeo.com/20232091

crystal_2013_3402.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
New Years Day 2011, 12/31/2011

2011_sue_032.jpg

Becky Reininger, Craig Reininger and Sue waiting for the first gondola ride of the morning, with friends.

2011_sue_036.jpg

Sue with Mount Rainier behind her.

2011_sue_038.jpg

Looking toward the North

2011_sue_041.jpg

And looking towards Mount Adams in the East.

I didn't bring my skis this time. I had my major surgery on the 18th of November and I'm giving myself some time to heal. But I still kinda wish I had brought the skis.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Very Nice Terry, Thank You for sharing with all of your fans.

Have a Happy New Year.

DonL

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We had good snow last Sunday the 15th at Crystal. Since that time, they've had four more feet if snow. Sue likes to ski between the tries in the powder, so we chased each other around the mountain on Sunday. It was two months since my surgery, so I as only good for half a day. I was able to do the steep and deep though, that's better then last year.

sue_terry_gondola_800.jpg

I'm having a blast with my new ski partner. We're pretty well matched. She was on the ski patrol at Baker while in college.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Looking down over the top of Powder Bowl at Crystal Mountain. Marion, Rick, Linda and Sue.

crystal_2012_top_of_pb.jpg

Does this give anyone vertigo?
Marilyn, Rick Reininger, Linda Reininger and Sue.

Or how about this looking at the King?
crystal_mountain_peak2.jpg

Are those trees at the top? Look again.......those are skiers.

crystal_2012_peak1.jpg

A nice Spring day at Crystal, with skiers waiting their turns to ski down. This is the view from the Cambell Basin lodge.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Summer is a great time to head to Crystal and see the sights. They have a nice gondola that takes you to a restaurant with a fantastic view of Mount Rainier across the valley. It's pretty cool on a clear night too, with the stars out and so far away from the city lights. You can look over at mountain and see the headlights of the mountain climbers scaling Mt. Rainier. So......even if you have never skied, don't intend to ski, this is a must do for anyone visiting Washington State.

crystal_2012_craig_crutches.jpg

Craig getting along with crutches after his ski racing mishap. A few screws in his foot and he was good to go.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The worst sunburn I ever incurred was after skiing Crystal in cutoffs in the AM on July 27 1974.

It was turning into some pretty sloppy-gooey stuff by ~11AM, so we drove over to Paradise for a PM boot-pack (in alpine ski boots no less) up the Muir Snowfield to about even with Anvil Rock (a bit over 9K') for a ~4K run down to the parking lot. (Anvil Rock is visible in the picture just above the Paradise Glacier bergschrundt, just to the right of the horn of Little Tahoma, and below bigger overhanging cliff of Gibraltar above Camp Muir.) I've skied the Muir & Paradise Glacier (and other lines within MRNP) many Julys since, but always been with better clothing, boots and sunscreen, and a plan, skinning up with telemark gear rather than the taking shin-bang of alpine boots.

I don't regret that less-planned adventure of my youth, but I was in a world of hurt the next day from sun-poisoning, blisters cracking and bleeding on the backs of my knees, etc.

It's about this time of year I regret not having a glaciated volcano in my current back yard.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
crystal_2013_3397.jpg

Behind the first range of mountains, in the distance is Mount Saint Helens. A volcano in the Cascade Range near Mount Rainier.

crystal_2013_3412.jpg

Mount Rainier from the top of Crystal on a clear day.
crystal_2013_3400.jpg

Mount Adams in the distance from the top of Crystal. Mt. Adams is also a volcano.

crystal_2013_3399.jpg

Toward the right, is Mount Stewart. The highest non-volcanic point in Washington State. It's part of the Enchantments.

These four pictures were taken on the same day from the top of Crystal Mountain within feet of the gondola at top.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
crystal_sue_1848b.jpg

Sue getting ready to go down Luckyshot.

crystal_sue_1857b.jpg

Sue at Snorting Elk

crystal_sue_1854b.jpg

Sue

crystal_terry_1856b.jpg

Yeah! And this is me. Kelly's Gap I think.

My son Jamie and his band will be playing at the top of Crystal on the 27th of April with his band Longstride between 1:00 PM and 4:00 on the outdoor patio. It's the patio with the awesome view of Mt. Rainier. If you're not a skier, take the gondola ride up and hang out for the day in a gorgeous Washington State Ski area.
They have a great restaurant that takes reservations, and for patio they will be serving wine and beer.

SUMMIT HOUSE SPRING CONCERT SERIES – LIVE MUSIC ON THE PATIO FROM 1PM – 4PM

Enjoy local bands at the Summit House patio for aprés on Saturday afternoons this Spring. Relax with friends while enjoying the magical view of Mt. Rainier with awesome live music in the background.
The week before they will be performing at Whistler Mountain World Ski and Snowboard Festival on the main stage.
April 17th at 2:30 PM

Longstride, Inside Out
Recorded in Seattle at Synergy Studios
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/days-like-these/id638117010

They will have their new CD at the Whistler show.
If you miss those, you can also catch them on the 20th of April at the Nectar Lounge in Seattle, the Fremont area of Seattle.,

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks