Are open drains a risk of infections?

Users who are viewing this thread

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
I've been getting a LOT of upper respiratory infections that dont seem related to viruses or anything. They seem to attack the upper respiratory system all at once. Sore throat, sinuses and bronchitis. Severe coughing up globs, and other times just the coughing. It's wearing me out. I've been coughing since September now and yes, I've seen the doctor and am about to go back again now. ( I hate it when they just shrug, like everyone gets it and there's nothing they can do! )

I'm wondering about the causes and how I can prevent it, and I read something recently about sink drains that can splash up bacteria in your face when the water runs, and when brushing your teeth. So 2 questions;

1.) Years ago, I got sick of the stopper parts of the sink drains, clogging up all the time, so I started taking them out and just using the open drain my my bathroom sink and tub. Does that increase the risk of this?

2.) We got this modular house in early 2005 and the sink drain in my bathroom collects water around it. It's like the chrome part is raised, so the water doesnt drain out. We live in Denver and it would normally dry out between use, but the water just sits there, building up a ring before long. Is that ring bacteria or fungus? Both? I'll post a photo below so you can see. Could this be contributing to my being sick a lot with these infections?

DRAIN.JPG

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Health care facilities use laminar flow aerators, so that potentially bacteria-laden air is not drawn into the water stream that you are washing with. They also splash less.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I don't think the sink is necessarily the culprit. As far as the removal of the stopper that doesn't qualify as an "open" drain, it should still have a water sealed trap.

If I were to hazard a guess to why you might be getting sick more, I would look at the modular house (if it's a trailer type modular home), they have been made with less than desirable materials. Katrina trailers being an example.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plumbers rarely get sick.

And like Florida Orange mentioned, it's not an open drain with a p-trap under the lav.
It would be the same as you bathtub or shower drain.
They have a water seal in the p-trap.

But then, we work on open plumbing all the time, and we don't get sick.

When I was younger, I had a brand new double wide, and you could smell the formaldehyde. That wasn't so good.

Cookie

Reaction score
Melissa, don't know about your drains with the health problems, but I know mold will do a number on your health. I had a mold problem in the bathroom, it was in my walls and under my floor, it was from my roof and it caused Pneumonia on me. My insurance company sent out at their expense a piece of the inside of the wall to a lab and the type of mold it was can and did cause my Pneumonia. Also, you should check for radon.

In the winter I leave a window cracked to get some fresh air in because of the furnace and cleaning your vents changing the filter, cleaning the furnace and ductwork is necessary for sinus problems. The same with your carpeting, you should be sweeping with a really great vacuum.

I use mattress covers and either change or wash my pillows frequently, even though they are covered with a pillowcase.

I got 2 cats and they get cleaned too, lol. One is 22 years old and loves being taken outside and brushed. Also, I use if any very little chemicals in my home. They are irritants to the nose and lungs. I only use drapes that are washable, nothing goes to the cleaners. The cleaning agents are very unhealthy.

Sometimes, it is not just one thing, sometimes it is a combination of things. Healthy house, healthy body.

Just another note, that sometimes we dont realize how many books, papers, pillows, stuffed animals, we have in our bedrooms where we sleep or anywhere in the house. Along with these things comes mites.

It is healthier to not seal your house up like a drum, let some air in.

Last edited:

Lightwave

Reaction score
YMMV depending on your area and sewage setup, but I had definite health problems when two plumbing faults drew septic gasses into my house. I had regular sore throats, breathing difficulties, and burning eyes. All of these issues went away after the drain issues were patched up.

This was an exceptional case, however, as one fault was due to improper installation of an air handler that resulted in large quantities of septic gas being drawn into the house by fan vacuum. A typical dried out or faulty p-trap will not cause as much gas ingress.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
The question I had was about that recession between the chrome and the sink bowl though, that collects water and eventually starts getting colored with bacteria or something.

We have 3 of the Austin Air HM400 filters in the house, each with HEPA and 17 lbs of charcoal. I dont THINK Colorado has dust mites because of the dryness here.

So my main question is about that ring around the drain, that builds up nasty stuff. Can that splash up and cause this?

I need to know what to tell someone to get it fixed too. Not sure how they'd fix it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can put water with clorox down the overflow of the basin.

Or use something safer like Bio-Clean.
It cleans the entire pipe, not just where water or chemicals flow.
I notice that when I've used Bio-Clean on a lav, and then run a snake down a week later, the snake comes out clean.

Kind of mind blowing for a plumber.
Normally you pull out all kinds of nasty stuff on the cable.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
So my main question is about that ring around the drain, that builds up nasty stuff. Can that splash up and cause this?

Again, I don't think the water sitting there for a little bit will breed harmful bacteria. You could find a water quality lab that will send you a kit to sample the suspect water, send it in and have it tested.

Cookie

Reaction score
Colorado doesn't get dust? I am moving there! And, you are welcome I am more than happy to try to help you.
Dust=dust mites, honey.

The question I had was about that recession between the chrome and the sink bowl though, that collects water and eventually starts getting colored with bacteria or something.

We have 3 of the Austin Air HM400 filters in the house, each with HEPA and 17 lbs of charcoal. I dont THINK Colorado has dust mites because of the dryness here.

I need to know what to tell someone to get it fixed too. Not sure how they'd fix it.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As far as the actual question about the water ring at the flange...if the sink is used regularly at all, I doubt if that water can stagnate. One low tech solution would be to simply grab a kleenex when you use the sink an just wipe that water up.

A permanent solution would be to look for a new drain assembly with a larger flange diameter, possibly a grid drain.

Cookie

Reaction score
Yes, as far as the actual question about the water, buying a container of Clorox Wipes would clean it up nicely, use one after every use then water & the nasty germs would be gone!

As far as the actual question about the ater ring at the flange...if the sink is used regularly at all, I doubt if that water can stagnate. One low tech solution would be to simply grab a kleenex when you use the sink an just wipe that water up.

A permanent solution would be to look for a new drain assembly with a larger flange diameter, possibly a grid drain.

Last edited:

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
You can put water with clorox down the overflow of the basin.

Or use something safer like Bio-Clean.
It cleans the entire pipe, not just where water or chemicals flow.
I notice that when I've used Bio-Clean on a lav, and then run a snake down a week later, the snake comes out clean.

Kind of mind blowing for a plumber.
Normally you pull out all kinds of nasty stuff on the cable.

That's interesting Terry, thanks. Can I just pour some of that down the kitchen sink drains and garbage disposal and it will disinfect them?

Hmm, I'm also thinking about soaking the dish mop in it...

Last edited:

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Oh, another thing. We have 5 pet birds here and are not into using harsh chemicals like chlorox. We even got rid of teflon pans, because if they overheat, they can kill all our birds without us even knowing it.

SO I know this may be a little off topic, but...

I'm looking for something that's not a harsh chemical, that I can pour down the kitchen sink and bathroom drains and will disinfect around the outer openings without harsh chemicals. That bio clean maybe?

Someone said vinegar but I dont know if that will get the slime buildup at the opening of the kitchen sink drain and garbage disposal drain.

BurleyMike

Reaction score
I have had respiratory and sinus infections all my life mostly during the winter months. This year it started in August and I got a sinus infection that would not go away. My family doc sent me to the ENT who did allergy tests and it turns out that I am very allergic to cats and slightly allergic to dogs as well as the most common type of mold the type that grows on bread. He started me on allergy shots and after 6 months my infections would still not quit. He said it was time to do a CT scan and we found that I had polyps and a blockage. I had taken enough antitbiotics to treat a dozen horses and I still did not completely get better.

Sinus surgery was the last resort but I am glad I did it. I have never been able to breathe out my nose so well. I caught a cold that my kids had 2 weeks after the surgery. It only lasted a few days and went away on it's own. In the past every cold I have caught I needed antibiotics to get rid of the sinus infection that would follow. I also have had a cough for years that would show up in the fall and last all winter. That too is gone now along with being tired all the time. I don't feel like taking an afternoon nap anymore.

If I were you I would ask your doctor to see an ENT or allergist.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks