Floor Flange Question

Users who are viewing this thread

rkelley

Reaction score
I just put tile into my two bathrooms. In one of the bathrooms when I removed the toilet, I took the nuts off of the floor bolts but when I pulled out the toilet, the bolts came out with the wax ring. There was no flange under the toilet, just two bolts in the concrete, and the wax ring.

So my question is, can I just put two new bolts into the floor? and can I do that myself? or do I need to have a plumber come and put in an actual flange?

Thanks,

rkelley

rkelley

Reaction score
I am not positive but it looks like cast iron, the house was built in the mid 70's in Oklahoma(if that gives a better idea). Is putting a flange in something I can do or do I need to hire someone?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends somewhat on the diameter of the pipe...if it is a 4" pipe, you can buy a flange with an expanding sealing/clamping mechanism that fits inside the pipe. If it is a 3" pipe, then you need a flange that fits on the outside. Outside is good in either case, but required in one. Inside shouldn't be a problem, if it will fit. In either case, the flange should also be bolted to the floor. Drilling through the tile can be a pain without the right drill bit. If the tile isn't already down, then notch it first so you only have to drill into the concrete. Use either lead anchors or plastic for the stainless steel screws (so they won't rust out). My unprofessional opinion.

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Flange

No clamps for me.
The best way is lead and oakum.
If needed deeper flanges are available.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks