Basement Bathroom Project

Users who are viewing this thread

red22769

Reaction score
After realizing that to be sure my plumbing is done properly in the bathroom I am adding in my basement,
I had a highly recommended plumber come over and look over my proposed layout I drew up, and give me a quote and describe to me how he would run the vent pipe to ensure proper venting and passing inspection, etc...

The sketch below is how he said he would run the drain and vent pipes, and assured me inspections would pass, he does this all the time....I need to run this by the Pro's here because something just doesn't seem right with his design.

To give some background info, the black soil stack in the sketch drains the 1/2 bath on the 1st level, the laundry room, and a slop sink in the garage ( Pictures of existing stack also included )

In the sketch, the existing stack is indicated with the solid black line.
The green dashed lines indicate the new underground pipe he will install after opening up the concrete floor.
The red lines indicate how each fixture is vented. ( can you vent to an existing soil stack? )
The blue line simply shows the above ground sink drain to the wall.

I am in the HVAC industry, and I am not up to snuff on what the local plumbing codes are here in Michigan, but something just seems off with this layout...can i get some feedback to put my mind at ease, or should I look for another plumber?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Attachments

• Basement Plumbing Plan.jpg
    Basement Plumbing Plan.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,400
  • Plumbing 002.jpg
    Plumbing 002.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 737
  • Plumbing 005.jpg
    Plumbing 005.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 611

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The new vents must tie into the existing vent sack 6" above the highest fixture.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dwv

The drainage portion looks right, as long as it is actually installed that way. BUT, you cannot connect the vent back to the vertical line because that is a drain NOT a vent. The vent has to be tied into the system above the highest fixtures on the upper floors. Doing it his way creates a "secondary drain" for the upper bathrooms.

red22769

Reaction score
Thanks hj & john for your feedback!

Based on what I have read in these forums for the past few weeks, I didn't feel too comfortable with this guys plan.

I called him to ask a few questions about the vent plan, and how he would connect to the existing line up stairs, and he said he wouldn't need to do that.
He was planning to use AAV's instead of tieing the vent into the vertical stack after looking at the floor plan of my house a bit closer.
He said AAV's are approved in MI code, and he uses them frequently, and could offer a reduced price now since there will be less material and time involved.

Would these AAV's work where he is describing them to me?
From our conversation, he wants to put one about 48" up inside the shower wall, and another 48" up in the wall where the sink drain will connect.
There will not be a connection to the vertical soil stack as indicated in the 1st attachment
( I modified the sketch based on the description the plumber gave me of his plan )

I've never seen one of these AAV's before and haven't a clue on what it is, or it's function....common sence tells me they are used for venting, but do they work? Is this common practice?

I'm pretty sure I need to find someone else to come look at this project!!!!
What do you all think?

Attachments

• Basement%20Plumbing%20Plan.jpg
    Basement%20Plumbing%20Plan.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 583

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Personally, if I hired a professional plumber, and he wanted to use AAVs and it wasn't as a last resort, I would find another plumber.

AAVs work in some situations where you have no other choice, but it shouldn't be your first plan.

Does your house have an attic?

The new plumber you hire should run the vent up into the attic and either tie into the exists vent stack or put a new one through the roof, it's really not that difficult.

red22769

Reaction score
Personally, if I hired a professional plumber, and he wanted to use AAVs and it wasn't as a last resort, I would find another plumber.

AAVs work in some situations where you have no other choice, but it shouldn't be your first plan.

Does your house have an attic?

The new plumber you hire should run the vent up into the attic and either tie into the exists vent stack or put a new one through the roof, it's really not that difficult.

My home is a 2 story with a vaulted ceiling in the master bedroom on the 2nd level directly above where this bathroom would be located in the basement, so no attic access...

I can however open up the wall in a closet in the laundry room on the 1st floor adjacent to where the bathroom would be. By doing that I can go up in that wall into the attic above the garage. ( In the sketch, the wall the fixtures will be on is the foundation wall for the garage )

I am planning to put a new roof on in the spring, so can I run it up into this attic space, and leave it just short of the roof until I do the tear off, and then extend it though later? See revised sketch and advise...
Doing this will incur more drywall work for me, but at least I will know the plumbing and venting is done properly.

Does the toilet need it's own vent pipe too? or just the shower and sink?

Attachments

• Basement Plumbing Plan Revised.jpg
    Basement Plumbing Plan Revised.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 823

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If the vent for the shower is 2" it will also serve the toilet.

John

red22769

Reaction score
BUMP...

Is leaving the vent pipe open in the garage attic ok until I get the roof done this spring?

Would like to move forward with the project, but would sleep better with comfirmation from the experts!

thanks to all who have entered feedback so far!

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
If the plumbing is going to be connected to an already properly vented drain system, I would be fine with piping it up to the attic and putting an AAV on the end of it temporarily. The reason I say this is because sometimes attics aren't sealed from our living spaces nearly as well as they should be, and I wouldn't want to risk gases getting into the home.

Priority one should be to punch it through the roof when the roofer gets there.

Keep in mind you have a lot of flexibility with vent lines and they don't need to go directly vertical of the fixture(s) you are venting.

red22769

Reaction score
Great to know...thanks for the info dlarrivee!

the construction will be getting underway tonight!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks