(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Replacing an old water softener system

DIY Junior Member

Question Replacing an old water softener system

I have an old (looks like a Fleck timer valve) water softener system that doesn't seem to be working well - think I need new media and figure its best just to replace the whole thing with a metered system. The question I have is what the risk is in over sizing the system? I have found Fleck 5600 stx on demand systems that look good and the 48,000 grain is only $30 more than the 40,000 grain (calculators say the 40,000 should be adequate). Second question I have is the Vortech tank technology worth another $150?

If the media tank and brine tanks are in good shape, upgrade the 5600sxt and new media along with a turbulator.... more resin in same size tank.
    Maybe replace the brine float assembly if it is brass with a 2310 plastic..

once done step back and call it good....

If the softener has been working well I'd replace the resin and control valve and look at a Clack WS-1 CS. They have more features and are much easier to repair than a Fleck 5600 SXT.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

And if there is already a 5600 in place with the bypass ,, replacing it with a new 5600SXT will marry right up to the Bypass that is already there and no need to change any of the plumbing.

DIY Junior Member

hello
    I am agree with Gary Slusser I think you need to contact with any reliable plumbing company for repair your water softener system

Regards
    Jim clemmer

Thanks Jim but from my 23 years of experience in the water treatment industry and 13 years answering peoples questions on the internet, I find that most plumbers don't know water treatment and don't like to 'fix' softeners. Also, he should do this himself as I believe he wants to.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Previous member

Quote Originally Posted by jimclemmer View Post
    hello
    I am agree with Gary Slusser I think you need to contact with any reliable plumbing company for repair your water softener system

Regards
    Jim clemmer

Excellent advice Jim