Change this kitchen drain pipe or not bother

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am changing out my kitchen sink and faucet. Trying to decide whether to change the drain pipe. Takes up a lot of space but am undecided whether it's worth the bother or not and also concerned about the lack of pipe. i would need to cut it right at the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I am seeing your picture right, you have a double sink draining with no p trap at all. If that is right, you need a plumber.

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
I think the P trap is missing because the sink is missing. I wouldn't bother with messing with it. Just put in 2 new tubing traps and go with it. If you put in a tubing tee with a baffle your sinks will probably drain a lot slower than the 2" drain that is there.

Asktom

Reaction score
Two traps on one trap arm does not meet code. The easiest fix would be to use one trap and cap the other side.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm glad I was not seeing the picture correctly! I was thinking if anyone was so inept not know that P traps were needed, there wasn't much hope of giving on line help. As others pointed out, you do need to make some changes, but it is a fixable situation. Retrofitting kitchen and bathroom drains can be frustrating because of the space restraints, but at least PVC is easier to connect than cutting and threading galvanized pipe! Now I can go about my day somewhat relieved. ;)

Reaction score
so i took the second P trap out and connected the pipe from the insinkerator directly to the drain pipe with a "T" connection joint and capped off the other side.

Are you suppose to use Teflon tape on the threads of the PVC I am capping? (As is standard, I did NOT use teflon tape for the P-trap and other drain connections)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There was nothing wrong with the original connection. But it was "overdone" if the installation did not need that particular configuration. Assuming you used the correct "tee" and piping, you probably did it properly. My picture did NOT show any missing traps.

Reaction score
Sorry, my question is whether I should be using Teflon tape on the PVC connection where I've capped it. I know you DON'T use it on the drain kit parts (P-traps, tailpiece, etc)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks